Off the wall thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I am running a 120v receptacle and going to floor flange mount the box, in is next to a air tank for condensate drain, and I want to put another support on it. Does it say anywhere how a support must be mounted ( a mini ). I know the picture has the wrong size mini need a 0, but can I use neo magnets to mount it? I cant drill or weld on tank. It takes allot of force to remove it.
mini.jpg

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The condensate drain probably is not considered structure. So if the drain moves then the conduit has to disturbed.

at any case it is an interesting question. So a magnet to support conduit run? I don't see why not as long as it is on a structure.

But then again not sure, I believe it has to be a "listed" fastener. screws, zip tie, nails, bolts..........

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Listed or just "identified"?
Also maybe a listed fastener on the raceway which is in turn simply supported by the magnet?
As in firmly attached by a screw to a block of metal which is held to the tank by a magnet.
Use of a magnet in place of the intended screw fastener would be more problematic, and the block would provide more surface area for the magnetic attraction.

Tapatalk!

Last edited:

plumb bob

You could mount an " L " bracket on the floor and run strut off the bracket, attach the mini to the strut. I like the out of the box thinking but magnets seem a little hack in my opinion. I wonder if a superstrong magnet could begin to influence the emf field (or vice/versa). Good luck!

hurk27

Yep but they are listed on that site as for temporary holding devices so that a permanent solution can be made.

The Magclamp? can also be used for holding hydraulic lines, steel, copper or plastic pipes in place to enable a permanent fixing to be made.

I like the list of side effects, just like you get on pharmaceuticals.:lol:

WARNING Important Health & Safety Information

Do not use in explosive environments
Very powerful magnet: handle with care
Do NOT give these Magnets to children
Do NOT allow Magnets to ?fly? together: they may shatter
Do NOT place within 300mm of credit cards, floppy discs or hard drives
May affect operation of some watches
Magnets can adversely affect pacemakers

Edited to add:
Guess I should have read further:

Electrical cables can also be held off the floor to remove a trip hazard, particularly useful in warehouses, workshops, factories and construction sites. Ideal when working in wet areas to keep electric cables dry and tidy. Fasten cables and pipe work securely for temporary or permanent installation.

But I still do not see any UL listing:happysad:

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I am running a 120v receptacle and going to floor flange mount the box, in is next to a air tank for condensate drain, and I want to put another support on it. Does it say anywhere how a support must be mounted ( a mini ). I know the picture has the wrong size mini need a 0, but can I use neo magnets to mount it? I cant drill or weld on tank. It takes allot of force to remove it.

well, you *could* tig weld a SS minnie on the tank,
and then have the tank re certified.... ;-)

in food packing, putting a SS minnie on a piece of 1/2"
bare rod as a standoff is done all the time.. it's usually
a lot faster to run pipe if you can put the supports where
you want to.... but that is welding SS on SS, and not a
pressure vessel.

what i've done is put a 4 bolt strut flange on the floor,
and put a piece of 1 5/8" strut (unpunched) up, and
run the conductors inside the strut and punch out
with a sealtight, or switch, or limit switch, or whatever,
and then cover the strut with the snap on cover that makes
it into a listed raceway.

but it's prohibitively expensive to do it that way in food packing.
SS strut is 'spensive. and not listed for washdown areas anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.