Countertop Electrical Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

Is mounting an electrical receptacle in a counter top with the faceplate and outlets facing up (towards the the ceiling flush with the counter top) a code violation? This is in a library application. Seems like a bad idea because if a liquid is spilled on the countertop this could have negative consequences. What code section would this violate? Trying to convince an owner that this is a bad idea. Thanks.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Is mounting an electrical receptacle in a counter top with the faceplate and outlets facing up (towards the the ceiling flush with the counter top) a code violation? This is in a library application. Seems like a bad idea because if a liquid is spilled on the countertop this could have negative consequences. What code section would this violate? Trying to convince an owner that this is a bad idea. Thanks.

Residential violates 406.5(E)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is in a library application.
Please clarify your use of the word "library." If you mean the building from which you borrow books, and if you are saying that has a break area with countertop surfaces, then what you describe would be a violation of 406.5(E) (2011 NEC). That rule is not restricted to residential applications. But if you mean the room within a dwelling unit in which you have bookshelves and soft chairs for reading, then I would have to ask what a countertop surface is doing in that room, and whether it is more accurate to call it a shelf. Perhaps then it would not be a violation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Charlie what am I missing are you assuming that the library is within the dwelling?

(E) Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Sur-
faces in Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in
a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

DougAles

The below item may meet your needs. It plugs into an outlet.

Disclosure, I work for Thomas & Betts. I'm trying to put that into my forum signature so I don't have to post it in every post but it does not seem to be working for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

If this a library in a dwelling unit it violates 406.5(E) under the 2011 code. It is worth noting that in the 2014 NEC 406.5(E) has been changed and will prohibit this in any occupancy. I would not do it even if allowed under the 2011 code in a non dwelling as I think it is a bad practice and apparently so does the CMP. And as mentioned, there are a fair number of products out there to do this right.

mwm1752

Disclosure, I work for Thomas & Betts. I'm trying to put that into my forum signature so I don't have to post it in every post but it does not seem to be working for me.

Won't work for a residential appliance recept circuit

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO

Just keep in mind that these devices (as it pertains to the one shown in the image) are classified as "Relocatable Power Taps" per UL White Book XBYS and investigated for use per UL 1363. The reason I wanted to make this statement as these are not the kind that can be installed in kitchen and bathroom counter tops unless they are listed for the specific application as expressed in 210.52(C)(5) and 210.52(D) respectfully. The assemblies that are listed for the use I explained will have an armored cable whip attached.

Shujinko

The original question was for use in a library for a university. In some of the countertops in breakrooms and in a study area. This is a really bad idea, especially having so many other options.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The original question was for use in a library for a university. In some of the countertops in breakrooms and in a study area. This is a really bad idea, especially having so many other options.

I agree. I can just imagine the paper clips and such being poked in one while a bored student is in attendance. And as I mentioned in my previous post, come the 2014 edition it won't be allowed in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.