Conduit runs into a box on exam today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Had my exam today, and we had a box with 3 trade size as the max size conduit into the side of the box, but we also had a conduit running out of the back of the box. I put down my box depth as 2 because the conduit running out of the back held 3 AWG conductor and the table in the code book listed that as the depth for 3 AWG. My question is, can you have conduit bigger than your box depth running into the side of your box? Because that would be the case with having 3 trade size conduit running into the side with a 2 depth box. Thanks!

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Had my exam today, and we had a box with 3 trade size as the max size conduit into the side of the box, but we also had a conduit running out of the back of the box. I put down my box depth as 2 because the conduit running out of the back held 3 AWG conductor and the table in the code book listed that as the depth for 3 AWG. My question is, can you have conduit bigger than your box depth running into the side of your box? Because that would be the case with having 3 trade size conduit running into the side with a 2 depth box. Thanks!

Your question is a little confusing but I think you figured it out. The conduit entering the box from the side clearly can not be larger than the dimension of your box.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I think that the only thing he is asking is whether you can run a 3 trade size conduit into the side wall of a 2" deep box. If you cannot, then he answered the test question wrong. :)
A 3" conduit (trade size 3) will not fit in the side of a 2" deep box.

joebell

Although the op is a little confusing, as stated this was a question on an exam. These questions are typically loaded with useless information, tricks if you will, to try and confuse you. The way I read the question is basically, 2- trade size 3 conduits enter an enclosure, one enters the side the other exits the back. 3 AWG conductors are installed so what would be the minimum depth of the enclosure for the raceway entering the back. It would have been helpful if the term removable cover" were in the OP. I believe that is the qualifier found in the exception to 314.28(A)(2).

BTW welcome to the forum Karma:)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Karma. I'm new here myself. Hope to adsorb some extra knowledge from these experienced electricians. Good luck in the trade.

Better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.