Cam-lock question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Which is proper or customary when using a cam-lock style panel mount receptacle to feed a panel, should it be a male just as you would use for any other power inlet situation or due to its particular construction be better to use the female? Thanks for your input!

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Neither end is entirely exposed as the rubber boot covers the terminal. Just it appears that the male has more coverage than the female to the brass terminal. Look at a picture of these chassis mount receptacles and cord ends then tell me what you think. I usually see this type of installation on concession stands but am not around one to see exactly what they do from the factory/manufacturer or if it is shown in the NEC.

Last edited:

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I should have said that either end is covered by a boot and that it looks like the male end offers more protection than the close proximity of the female termination to the edge of its boot. So this is why I question it. But goes against my reasoning as you would use a male intlet to bring power into equipment and female to supply power.

Shanky

When adding cam lok outles to portable generators I power the female outlet for the hot legs with the spring loaded covers available and use a male outlet for neutral to ensure no cross connections. I caution label excessively. Due to having to hook up one lead at a time, power should be off anyway, but receptacle is a dangerous place with cam loks if hot and you don't have a locking cover to protect from unauthorized people, or it's in a public.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
When adding cam lok outles to portable generators I power the female outlet for the hot legs with the spring loaded covers available and use a male outlet for neutral to ensure no cross connections. I caution label excessively. Due to having to hook up one lead at a time, power should be off anyway, but receptacle is a dangerous place with cam loks if hot and you don't have a locking cover to protect from unauthorized people, or it's in a public.
Out of curiosity, what do you use for the ground/EGC?

When adding camlok outles to portable generators I power the female outlet for the hot legs with the spring loaded covers available and use a male outlet for neutral to ensure no cross connections.

AFAICT, the practice of using male supply-side connectors for grounded and equipment grounding conductors was generally abandoned over 10 years ago. Pretty much all new installations I see are all female on the supply site.

Your mileage may vary.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
AFAICT, the practice of using male supply-side connectors for grounded and equipment grounding conductors was generally abandoned over 10 years ago. Pretty much all new installations I see are all female on the supply site.

Your mileage may vary.

Interestingly, using male supply-side connectors for grounded and equipment grounding conductors is in widespread use in theater.

However...

All female connectors on the supply side is in widespread use in the film industry.

This leads to smart entertainment electricians keeping several F-F and M-M gender-benders in their tool kits for tie ins. The takeaway is that there really isn't a standard per se. Even older theater installations will occasionally have the all female connectors arrangement.

Cam-locks will continue to have a place where it's necessary to connect large loads on a temporary basis. The multiple connectors for each phase + neutral + ground means that they're only suitable for use by qualified personnel. I personally prefer the male connectors for neutral and ground, but that's just me. Heck, it's a good gig if the cam-lock colors match what they're being used for; most times, they're taped with colored e-tape to indicate phase, neutral, and ground :)

SceneryDriver

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
At least one manufacturer has their plug and receptacles of this type listed under the UL White Book Category RTRT. That is the category that all standard plug and receptacles are under. That would make 406.7(B) apply to cam-loks, in my opinion.
406.7(B) Connection of Attachment Plugs. Attachment plugs shall be installed so that thei r prongs, blades, or pins are not energized unless inserted into an energized receptacle or cord connectors.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Thanks for your input! Making a nice temporary panel for job site but you know how heavy no. 2 SOOW cord 100 feet long is along with lugging around a panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.