UL listed concentric neutral 25 kv cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtester

A customer contacted me about UL listed or recognized concentric neutral cable. It seems that a local inspector has red tagged an underground line because the cable is not UL listed. I can't find a UL standard for concentric neutral cable. I have located UL 1072, but the scope indicates it is not applicable to concentric neutral cables. Does anyone have any experience or information on UL ratings for these cables?
Thanks in advance for your help or thoughts.
Jim T

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the cables were used only by utility companies the NEC would not apply and any requirement for listing would have to come from company specifications.

Tapatalk!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It's not utility, a private company owns it and the project is being inspected by State Electrical Inspectors.
Thanks
Jim
And because of what I mentioned, there may be suppliers of concentric neutral cable that do not get it UL listed since their market it all POCOs. In which case anybody who uses that brand on a NEC project is up the creek.
My first step would be to contact the manufacturer directly to see if they can clarify the situation.

jtester

And because of what I mentioned, there may be suppliers of concentric neutral cable that do not get it UL listed since their market it all POCOs. In which case anybody who uses that brand on a NEC project is up the creek.
My first step would be to contact the manufacturer directly to see if they can clarify the situation.

I agree, and the customer has contacted the manufacturer, but I wonder what UL standard does apply. Our state code requires that if a UL standard exists, the cable must be UL recognized, and UL 1072 doesn't seem to apply. If no UL standard applies, other options such as engineering certification are available.
Thanks
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.