Importance of a ground access well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenspark1

Hi all,
I have a client who is suggesting we use ground access wells with PVC around the ground rod. Since he's paying I'll design whatever he wants, but I would like to hear from all you knowledgeable people out there- what is the point of PVC pipe around the electrode? The well cover obviously gives you access to the ground rod for testing, but is there any other important/benefit to it? I typically do not use them (commercial 480V facilities) and have not had any trouble until now. Thanks for the info!

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Hi all,
I have a client who is suggesting we use ground access wells with PVC around the ground rod. Since he's paying I'll design whatever he wants, but I would like to hear from all you knowledgeable people out there- what is the point of PVC pipe around the electrode? The well cover obviously gives you access to the ground rod for testing, but is there any other important/benefit to it? I typically do not use them (commercial 480V facilities) and have not had any trouble until now. Thanks for the info!

As you said testing and inspection.
Cell sites are loaded with them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It these are code required ground rods, you have to have at least 8' of the rod in contact with the earth. The exposed part of the rod in the well would not be in contact with the earth. If these rods are not required by the code, which is likely, then the code does not care how much earth contact they have, but the job specs probably do.

dereckbc

Staff member
I have done it for 35 years. I am in the telecom sector. It allows us to inspect the thermal welds, condition of the rods, test access point, and integrity. Quite common practice in my industry.

greenspark1

Great, thanks for the replies everyone! I'm curious if anyone uses test wells or ever tests grounds for commercial, education, or similar facilities? The job spec is silent on this so always helpful to hear what's common practice in different industries. Sounds like cell towers certainly use them.

It these are code required ground rods, you have to have at least 8' of the rod in contact with the earth. The exposed part of the rod in the well would not be in contact with the earth. If these rods are not required by the code, which is likely, then the code does not care how much earth contact they have, but the job specs probably do.

Good point.

dereckbc

Staff member
Unless those rods are 16 feet long. Another type with an access well is a Chemical Rod so you can add salt to them yearly.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager

Which would be perfectly fine if they were 10' rods. :)

And same would apply if the rod is not fully driven below grade - as in if you left the connection above grade to be able to inspect/test it easier for similar reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.