battery operated locks or locksets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are battery operated locks covered under the NEC? My personal opinion is batteries produce electricity therefore they should fall under the NEC. If they are covered under the NEC would 110.3 apply? UL listed electrically. This is the problem. The lock they are saying is UL 10C (UL 10C is for the latching device being able to maintain the integrity of the opening during a fire) This is not a UL listing for electrical. So my issue is if the batteries catch fire, the UL 10C is moot, you can't get out when the lock is on fire. My standing is the unit should be listed UL 294 (access control system units)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Art. 480 is for storage batteries. What kind of battery do you have. Surely C & D cell batteries are not NEC regulated.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My take, with no specific knowledge in this area whatsoever (always a good sign)
is that:

If the lock requires power to open and has no provision for a mechanical override, then it probably should not be used on an egress door in the egress direction. A door that just takes you into a dead end room or into a locked security area with no other exit, maybe OK.
If the lock is designed to open using battery power (card lock or keypad lock for example) but will also open if the battery fails, then also OK.

There must be details that you have left out for simplicity. :)
Like are the locks intended to keep people from getting out under non-emergency circumstances.
For example prisons, locked psych wards, or memory care facilities.

dereckbc

Staff member
Are you talking about a security combination type lock for entry? If so the NEC has no say whatsoever as it is not part of the premises wiring system. No difference between it, a flashlight, cell phone, or battery powered smoke detector. No different than a dead bolt lock is it?

Last edited:
Dorm Rooms

Dorm Rooms

The locks are for dorm rooms. They have a mechanical means of egress. The problem I see is if the batteries catch fire you will not be able to use the handle to get out. I would think this is a life safety issue being its the only exit in the room.

This may be a NFPA 72 or 80 question

This may be a NFPA 72 or 80 question

I will ask the local AHJ as well. I was told a long time ago that battery operated devices were covered under the NEC when used in conjuction with Fire alarm, Burg alarm, and access control. Maybe they were wrong.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
The locks are for dorm rooms. They have a mechanical means of egress. The problem I see is if the batteries catch fire you will not be able to use the handle to get out. I would think this is a life safety issue being its the only exit in the room.

The mechanical means is to override the electrical means, and if power fails the door should unlock.

Is this latching system fire exit hardware? where designed to stay latched during a fire?

2009 IBC

1008.1.10 Panic and fire exit hardware.
Doors serving a Group H occupancy and doors serving rooms or spaces with an occupant load of 50 or more in a Group A or E occupancy shall not be provided with a latch or lock unless it is panic hardware or fire exit hardware.

Exception:
A main exit of a Group A occupancy in compliance with Section 1008.1.9.3, Item 2.

Electrical rooms with equipment rated 1,200 amperes or more and over 6 feet (1829 mm) wide that contain overcurrent devices, switching devices or control devices with exit or exit access doors shall be equipped with panic hardware or fire exit hardware. The doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel.

1008.1.10.1 Installation.
Where panic or fire exit hardware is installed, it shall comply with the following: 1. Panic hardware shall be listed in accordance with UL 305; 2. Fire exit hardware shall be listed in accordance with UL 10C and UL 305; 3. The actuating portion of the releasing device shall extend at least one-half of the door leaf width; and 4. The maximum unlatching force shall not exceed 15 pounds (67 N).

kwired

Electron manager
If battery catches fire, it could possibly be contained within the housing making it safe enough to still use any mechanical feature to open the door and egress via that doorway, it is likely this battery has pretty low output rating to begin with and is not all that likely to catch fire, or if it does would not release all that significant of an amount of energy.

mgookin

If these locks are for dorm rooms, you are fine with battery operated access control. They are used all the time across all types of occupancies. Those batteries catching fire is a non-issue. There is no charging going on in there so it's not like you'd get thermal runaway. Egress is not dependent upon the batteries having charge.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
batteries catching fire. Really!

Boy and I think I may be concerned about things.

What are you trying to accomplish by making a stink about this?

kwired

Electron manager
batteries catching fire. Really!

Boy and I think I may be concerned about things.

What are you trying to accomplish by making a stink about this?
As mentioned if the batteries are being charged that may be a higher risk, but something tells me these batteries are used until discharged and then replaced, or at least recharged at a different location.

Status
Not open for further replies.