Metal rx conn. in plastic box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Someone asked me if they can install a romex connector (metal ss) in a plastic box...

I can't give him a definitive yes or no...

what say ye?

ritelec

What do you think about 250.4(A)(5) being applicable?

Looks like a no. I guess you could if you installed grounding bushings

Thinking now. Is emt electrical equipment and wiring and other electrically conductive material.
Would think so. So if I just chased some nm through a length emt. That would be no good.
Or any pipe. Or metal joist etc ...
Now I'm confused.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Looks like a no. I guess you could if you installed grounding bushings

Thinking now. Is emt electrical equipment and wiring and other electrically conductive material.
Would think so. So if I just chased some nm through a length emt. That would be no good.
Or any pipe. Or metal joist etc ...
Now I'm confused.

Take a look at 334.15 (B)

ritelec

OK thanks guys...

so 250.4 (A)(5) says no you can't and 334.15(B) says yes you can .... (however, in 334.15(B) "if" it's not there for physical protected then in has to be grounded....???? lol)

my my my

mwm1752

OK thanks guys...

so 250.4 (A)(5) says no you can't and 334.15(B) says yes you can .... (however, in 334.15(B) "if" it's not there for physical protected then in has to be grounded....???? lol)

my my my

IMHO Way to much thought on this -- If you say yes the scenerio of a couple of NM's in a 1/2" 2 screw romex connector into a 2 gang plastic with preplaced KO's comes into play (never seen the bonding done on it) -- If you say no the scenerio of a bunch of NM's in a 2" 2 screw romex connector into a plastic j box can be the install. If bonding was done the conductor size is based upon the largest OCD within the group passing through the fitting.
There is no more likeley to become energized scenario with a properly installed metallic NM connector as the is with a metallic sleeve IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.