Jersey Shore Minimun Service Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

I have never done a service upgrade near sealevel. Lady from building department told me to install this according to base flood elevation and gave me the website where we type the address house and find out the BFE. The BFE at this address is 7'. Does anyone has use this height to install the meter pan in a one story house?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
FWIW, that probably sets the electrical datum plane where that concept appears in the NEC.
Can you see all of your indoor receptacles above 7'?

Tapatalk!

I have never done a service upgrade near sealevel. Lady from building department told me to install this according to base flood elevation and gave me the website where we type the address house and find out the BFE. The BFE at this address is 7'. Does anyone has use this height to install the meter pan in a one story house?

Is the 7 feet measured from sea level or from the existing grade? It could make a difference. Even though you are "near sealevel", the existing grade could be a few feet above sea level.

Last edited:

mtnelectrical

Is the 7 feet measured from sea level or from the existing grade? It could make a difference. Even though you are "near sealevel", the existing grade could be a few feet above sea level.

Yes it makes a big difference. I did not think about that. Most likely 5' would be enough. I am just doing the service. Inside wiring would be done by the owner. I know that the switches at 48"aff might be ok, but I don't thinkk the receptacles would be ok. What options you have besides of risisng the whole house?

RICK NAPIER

It comes from ASCE/SEI 24-05 Flood Resistant Design and Construction. BFE is Base Flood Elevation which is the elevation of flooding, including wave height, having a 1% chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year. You usually have to be 1 to 2 feet above the BFE. Here is a link that has this information and table 7-1 where the utility heights are listed and table 1-1 which gives you the building classifications for the chart.

http://www.cvfpb.ca.gov/regulations/ASCE 24-05 Flood Resistant Design & Const.pdf

mtnelectrical

It comes from ASCE/SEI 24-05 Flood Resistant Design and Construction. BFE is Base Flood Elevation which is the elevation of flooding, including wave height, having a 1% chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year. You usually have to be 1 to 2 feet above the BFE. Here is a link that has this information and table 7-1 where the utility heights are listed and table 1-1 which gives you the building classifications for the chart.

http://www.cvfpb.ca.gov/regulations/ASCE 24-05 Flood Resistant Design & Const.pdf

I guess this is for new construction. Or is it being enforced for rehab too? The house where I will be working is going to be rewired only the receptacles and wires that were run underneath (crawling space) more than 50 % of wirirng has been run from attic space and it will be reuse. But that is going to be done by owner.

mgookin

There should be a benchmark on that property or an elevation certificate indicating what the finished floor elevation is. From there you have direction on what elevation your meter socket needs to be. Keep in mind that number is a minimum, not an absolute. You still have to meet NEC & POCO requirements.

mtnelectrical

Finally , project is over. The BFE is found on the FEMA website. The heiight for the meter pan is BFE + 1'. Most of these house need to have a certificate of elevation. The owners usually need to have this done by a surveyer comp. There you would find the elevation of the floor. and that's your benchmark for everything else.
Thanks for all your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.