Moving from AR to PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I've actually dealt with Amish electricians who probably never even heard the word "license." Don't ask me how that's possible, but for damn sure I wouldn't want them working in my house. The last time was a teleconsult on a lighting job where a group of six 4" low voltage recessed lights were tripping the AFCI every time they turned the switch on. The electrician had no clue how to troubleshoot it, had no idea what a megger is, and wouldn't tell me when he didn't understand what I was talking about. It was a 20 minute guessing game where I had to figure out what he didn't understand and how to explain it to him. He didn't know what kind of lights he had installed, whether they had integrated transformers, whether they were 12V or 120V lamps, etc. Oy vey.

No doubt

No doubt

The two worst electricians I ever met were licensed guys :) I am totally serious though, and I live in central NY where there isnt much licensing so I come across plenty of unlicensed guys.

I see ur point. Just because some body has a card in their pocket doesn't make them a good electrician. Just able to go to school and pass a test. I know lots of older guys that grandfathered into a lisc. that are awesome electricians that prob. couldn't pass any test. But really know their stuff....

I like the idea of a lisc. in the fact it makes us more valuable, I would think.

Guess I was prob. blowing this whole thing out of proportion..

Amish electricians??????????

Amish electricians??????????

I've actually dealt with Amish electricians who probably never even heard the word "license." Don't ask me how that's possible, but for damn sure I wouldn't want them working in my house. The last time was a teleconsult on a lighting job where a group of six 4" low voltage recessed lights were tripping the AFCI every time they turned the switch on. The electrician had no clue how to troubleshoot it, had no idea what a megger is, and wouldn't tell me when he didn't understand what I was talking about. It was a 20 minute guessing game where I had to figure out what he didn't understand and how to explain it to him. He didn't know what kind of lights he had installed, whether they had integrated transformers, whether they were 12V or 120V lamps, etc. Oy vey.

Amish electricians!!! Isnt that a oxymoron.. like a big guy with the nickname "shorty" I would of never guessed the Amish did electrical work. Thought they would look at that like a sin or something..

Goes to show how much we arkys know about them..

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Amish electricians!!! Isnt that a oxymoron.. like a big guy with the nickname "shorty" I would of never guessed the Amish did electrical work. Thought they would look at that like a sin or something..

Goes to show how much we arkys know about them..

They may be Mennonites. An offshoot of the Amish, they have embraced modern technology but maintain many of the cultural aspects of the Amish.

j.smith6300

In Arkansas, a HO can draw their own permit for work that requires a permit, but most municipalities at least require a general electrical knowledge test if it is for permitted work such as services. Even at that, the HO best be the one to do the work... No buddies or relatives. The inspector does have recourse. All he has to do is Red-tag the service, and the utility, whether Entergy or co-op, will NOT reconnect. Just sayin...

JDB3

Titan not trying to argue here but I spent a lifetime in AR for 2 years working around Little Rock and Ft Smith and a home owner does not need a license to do electrical or plumbing work. In fact that holds true in most states. If the HO pulls a permit and passes inspection, they are good to go. Even if the HO does not pass inspection, there is nothing the inspector can do about it. Not saying this is right or wrong, it is just the way it is.

Here in TX most counties do not even require a permit or inspection if the HO is doing the work. Some counties in TX there is no code enforcement agency to pull a permit. At the State level in TX there is no license to be had, only county/city issues license.

Might want to clarify your statement. The State of Texas does require an electrical contractors license to do work for others in the state & must have a master electrical license holder on record.

tbartek

Anyone can do their own wiring in PA if you are working outside of a third class or larger city. Your work still has to be inspected. You can be licensed in any area that has a licensing board. Again, third class and larger cities. If you are working as a business you must be licensed, insured and registered with the PA State Attorney General's office as a contractor. With a license from another state a local board may issue you a license for just the cost of the yearly fee. They may however require you to take the test which is computer based. Once you are licensed by a city, most places in the state will honor that license. You must be licensed in order to pull permits for any electrical work.

Last edited:

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
My wife was offered an amazing job in Langhorne PA. So I was wondering what it will take for me to get a lisc. up there. We don't have many union shops around here, so I was wondering if a non union guy such as myself would be able to find work around there. I mostly do light comm. and custom homes.

Thank You
Langhorne Pa is right outside Philadelphia and most areasthat require license will accept a Philly one. It used to be easy for a Philly licenseit was just looking thing up from code.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
This question was asked in March of last year. I imagine the OP has made their decision long ago. I'm not sure why j.smith saw need to resurrect the topic, but I am closing it because it is no longer relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.