Laundry Circuit Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEM

I have been studying to take my Master Electrical License test and have read things a bit more in depth. In article 220.53(B), it states that "this load shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load and subject to the demand factors provided in table 220.42." So, it seems to me that this could mean that if a dwelling has 1000 sq feet that the laundry load shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load of 1000 sq.' X 3 = 3000 as compared to 3000 va + 1500 = 4500 for the general lighting load plus the laundry circuit load. So which is it?

It seems to me that when questions or specifications list a laundry circuit, then 1500 va needs to be added to the total load to be adjusted by the applicable demand factor calculation method. Am I correct?

cadpoint

Yes

Note the Examples in Annex D in the back of the good book, if there is a laundry then add it, if there is a kitchen circuit then add that as well. This always happen in both Standard and optional
calc's. that this is added to the base Sq Ft, and then do other things later. (if required)

KEM

Laundry Circuit Load

I have been studying to take my Master Electrical License test and have read things a bit more in depth. In article 220.53(B), it states that "this load shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load and subject to the demand factors provided in table 220.42." So, it seems to me that this could mean that if a dwelling has 1000 sq feet that the laundry load shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load of 1000 sq.' X 3 = 3000 as compared to 3000 va + 1500 = 4500 for the general lighting load plus the laundry circuit load. So which is it?

It seems to me that when questions or specifications list a laundry circuit, then 1500 va needs to be added to the total load to be adjusted by the applicable demand factor calculation method. Am I correct?

On page 316 of Mike Holt's Illustrated Guide to Electrical Exam Preparation (10.1, step a) states: " the laundry load can be omitted if the laundry facilities are provided on the premises and available to all building occupants." (210.52(f) (Ex 1). However, it seems to me that article 220.53(B) contradicts this by saying that "the laundry load shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load". That means by the way it is written that it is optional to include it in the total calculated loads.

If it is necessary to include it, and I think that if you have the circuit and the plumbing provisions for a washer, then I would include it. But the way that it is written in article 220, it isn't required. If you have a washer hook-up in a guest room, which is not considered a dwelling unit since it does not have a kitchen facility, then if article 210.52(F)(Ex1) applies, that 1500 load needs to be calculated into the total load figured for the guest room just as if the plans for this unit included a baseboard heater and a wall mounted AC unit. The highest name-plate rating between the two would need to be included with the general lighting load. My problem is that Article 220.53(B) contradicts this by the way it is written.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
That means by the way it is written that it is optional to include it in the total calculated loads.

It is NOT optional to include the laundry load in your load calculations...

It IS optional to to apply the lighting demand factors to the laundry and general lighting load (and the small appliance circuit load.)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It is NOT optional to include the laundry load in your load calculations...

It IS optional to to apply the lighting demand factors to the laundry and general lighting load (and the small appliance circuit load.)
Hmmm...your reply could be misinterpreted. Let's try it this way...

The laundry circuit load (if this circuit is required) is added as a separate load in feeder and service calculations.

The laundry circuit load is permitted to be added to the general lighting load and demand factors of Table 220.42 applied to the aggregate amount.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Here is where the wording of the article can get confusing:
In article 220.53(B), it states that "this load shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load . . . .:
This article uses the phrase ". . . permitted to be included with," and so does the previous article that addresses loads for the small appliance branch circuits. But look at the different way the code is worded in article 220.14(J). Here it clearly says that the loads for three specific types of outlets are already included in the lighting load calculation. It then tells us we don't have to add any more load to the calculation for these items. The SABC and laundry articles don't say that. So, as others have already said, you take your 3 watts per square foot, you add the 3000 VA for the two SABCs, and you add the 1500 VA for the laundry circuit. Then you can apply the demand factors in table 220.42.

DWEames

What do you do if the gives you sq. footage of space, including a garage and space for future use. then states that it is equipped with laundry and bathroom, and asks for the calculation, but doesn't mention kitchen...is that a given?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What do you do if the gives you sq. footage of space, including a garage and space for future use. then states that it is equipped with laundry and bathroom, and asks for the calculation, but doesn't mention kitchen...is that a given?
Pretty much. There are apartments without cooking provisions that are grouped in with hotels and motels... and probably the only dwelling type occupancy that may not have a kitchen. However, SABC's are not limited to just kitchens (or just two for that matter). And bathrooms as a load are permitted to be included in the general lighting calculation for dwellings.

Status
Not open for further replies.