Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

RB1

That is not necessarily true. The exception to 701.12(B)(3) permits a utility-supplied fuel source where there is a low probability of simultaneous interruption of supply. In seismic zones I would think that on-site storage would be required. In any case it is up to the AHJ.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I was reading this old forum:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=124583&page=2

and there is a reference to the required generator being fed by a gas line. That doesn't meet the NEC requirements for a required generator. Utility supplied anything, including gas or water, cannot be used for a required generator.
That is not entirely true. See the exception for this in Art. 700 and 701. This is routinely done in many areas.
I will say though that due to Hurricane Sandy in NYC and the many different issues that came up with failed Art. 700 and 701 systems, I think we are going to see changes in Art. 700, 701 and NFPA 110. It was sadly learned that even on site fuel supplies need careful design considerations.

lakee911

... I think we are going to see changes in Art. 700, 701 and NFPA 110. It was sadly learned that even on site fuel supplies need careful design considerations.

We need to be careful in separating code from good design practice. Depending on the changes, it might allow the code to slip into being a design manual. We're still going to have single point failures and I don't know how the code can prevent that.

Status
Not open for further replies.