Is the NEC Section 708 for "Critical Operations Power Systems" a universal requiremen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the NEC Section 708 for "Critical Operations Power Systems" a universal requiremen

If the NEC is adopted as a Statewide Code, with no exceptions for Article 708 written into the State's Building Code adoption, then do individual municipalities or jurisdictions have the right to not enforce or meet the requirements of Art. 708?
Would they be required to upgrade existing facilities to meet Code Requirements when renovations are being made, or if they are replacing generating equipment and/or other emergency services?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
708 does not apply to any given facility at all, unless someone declares that it shall apply. Read the second paragraph of 708.1. You need a govenrmental agency or the owner to say that the facility needs a COPS. Unless and until that happens, the article can be completely ignored.

Welcome to the forum.

COPS Designation

COPS Designation

Ok. I understand that. However, let's say there's a fire station and the jurisdiction is upgrading the emergency generator providing emergency power to the facility either due to its age or to increase the load capacity to handle standby loads in addition the life safety loads, is it still not a COPS unless designated by the jurisdication?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Ok. I understand that. However, let's say there's a fire station and the jurisdiction is upgrading the emergency generator providing emergency power to the facility either due to its age or to increase the load capacity to handle standby loads in addition the life safety loads, is it still not a COPS unless designated by the jurisdication?

If all they are doing is upgrading the generator I can assure you it is not a COPS unless designated by an authority having that power.
Have you read all of 708? To comply with it someone had better have a lot of say so and deep pockets. IMO
Welcome to the forum!

possible issues

possible issues

if the existing system was a certified COPS, then the validation tests will need to be reran with the new equipment in place to re certify the system, this is important if this is a legally required COPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.