Customer Challenging Quote Based on Friend Electrician's Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
BE nice and run really fast.I concur with rest of the group this is a headache waiting to happen.

PJHolguin :cool:

I agree. This reminds me of an estimate I gave for a renovation job for a friend of a friend. When they balked at the price I agreed to check the numbers again. Turns out that I had missed something and my original estimate was too low. :roll:

ceknight

I agree. This reminds me of an estimate I gave for a renovation job for a friend of a friend. When they balked at the price I agreed to check the numbers again. Turns out that I had missed something and my original estimate was too low. :roll:

That's SOP for me. If someone asks me to redo an estimate, the 2nd one is always higher. :)

I don't mind so much when someone whines about a high estimate. It's the ones where they express glee that it was lower than they expected that bother me.

cadpoint

IMO

IMO

Friends & Business always dicie, Friends & Business & a X, sounds like a mess!
Run, Bail, shoot a flair you need to be resuced...

CopperTone

walk away and be happy about it

walk away and be happy about it

I'm sure some of you have had this occur (in general, not to the extent you are about to read):

You quote a job (kitchen remodel) and the potential client (in my case a return customer's new wife) sends you email citing your quote is high, based on another electrician's (in my case the former remodel was done by the ex-husband, an electrician, who is now an estimator...whew!) review of my quote. I now find myself up at 1AM responding and justifying my quote.

The previous remodel was done in the early 90's, and I have no idea what sort of workmanship was involved and bet that I will have to re-wire at least a portion of the job. I am sure there will be needed changes in some of the layout, panel (arc faults taking up more space and re-positioning existing circuits, tying handles together, etc.) but they assume that if all the dedicated circuits are there, they shouldn't have to pay so much for the new kitchen. The layout is not changing dramatically, so it may be true for some of the circuits. From a $ position, I understand their point. From a position of experience, I never had a remodel where all the existing wiring was reusable, and I would be a little remiss thinking I could get away with using old wire from a liability standpoint.

Anyhow, I have suggested the option that I do this portion of the kitchen on a T&M basis. I think that would be fair, but I would like to hear from the field and see what you all would do in a case like this.

From a sales point I individually addressed all of the ex-husband's comments in his email which she shared with me. Not worried about that. Moreso what you guys may have done in similar situations. I generally boilerplate kitchen quotes regardless of the fact that there is "already" wiring in place. You just never know what you find in the walls after demo, and I would bet my liability insurer would say rip it out and start clean (which I explained to my customer). I am considering drafting an agreement that says any wiring not replaced by me is their future responsibility, should some issue arise. Feedback to that is aoppreciated.

The hard part is that the new husband is a friend and previous client, the GC is a friend that I am very loyal to and to top it off I really don't need the work. The job starts Wednesday, so I feel obligated to come through so the schedule can stay on track, vs. saying (as my wife chimed in) "That's fine, have your ex-husband do it!" He's already suggested finding them (cheap) help.

Thanks for reviewing and commenting!

Bob
why is everyone so afraid of walking away from a job? the fact that you posted on this board your situation, shows that your instincts told you to walk away. So run away and be happy you did. This job sounds like an absolute nightmare. it doesn't cost you anything to walk away, it will cost you a lot in extra time for this job in hassle - and - if you get paid. after you chase and chase - screw that crap. be happy you didn't have to do this job.

Scratchbuilt

Just say thank you, tell them that this is the price that I can do this project for and let them decide what they want to do. They are more than welcome to use someone else, just like you are more then welcome to not do the work for a price where you don't think you can make any money. Just be nice about it!

Don't do it!

Don't do it!

Tell her if she wants a fixed price upfront, then you already gave her one that covers most of the commonly anticipated surprises.

If she wants to play it as it goes, there is a chance of saving some money, but there is also a chance of spending just as much or even more.

She has two basic choices, by the hour, plus materials and other costs, or by the job - and it must stay within specifications or the contract is invalid.

If she doesn't like either of those suggestions you don't want to work for her anyway.

I think you should pass on this job. I doubt you will be able to please and you have to look forward to the ex inspecting and critiquing your work - no fun. I have come to the conclusion that we do the jobs we are suppose to do and by grace we don't do the ones we are not suppose to do. Who wants to start a job in a adversarial relationship. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.