Replacing smoke detector advice NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello.

I may be involved with replacing 15 yr old interconnected smokes in a townhouse/condo organization.

They are also requiring co2 detectors to be installed.. (can be plug into receptacle type)

I gave them numbers for replacing smokes with smokes, and replacing smokes with combo co2/smokes at bed room areas...

Reading around about the co2's it's suggested to put 1 at each level, basement for sleeping etc... guess the more the merrier.

I talked to the property management, they said their green card (?) treats these units as a hotel... they say the township fire inspector treats it as a dwelling unit (single units).

The current wiring is 120v in each unit ( 1-3 interconnected)... so I think if it were "hotel" ish, wouldn't they need some type of interconnection between units? There are no halls, each unit has it's own exterior entrance.

Should I replace smokes and add the co2 combo at the bedrooms? Add more combos if the owner wants? replace smokes and tell owners to get the plug in co2's ;-) ??

Thank you

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would replace the old smoke alarms with new ones and provide one combination unit outside of the bedrooms as required. Since you're getting conflicting information regarding the township's requirements I would make a phone call before doing anything.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
NFPA 72 does NOT permit interconnection between dwelling units unless the AHJ expressly requires it. The occupancy is R-2. The following exception applies for full fire alarm systems:

A fire alarm system is not required in buildings
not more than two stories in height
where all dwelling units or sleeping units
and contiguous attic and crawl spaces are
separated from each other and public or
common areas by at least I-hour fire partitions
and each dwelling unit or sleeping unit
has an exit directly to a public way, exit court _
or yard.

Also CO detectors on each level:

Alternative I
1. The guestroom or dwelling unit is located more than one story above or below any story, which
contains a fuel-burning appliance or an attached garage:
2. The guestroom or dwelling unit is not connected by duct work or ventilation shafts to any room
containing a fuel-burning appliance or to an attached garage; and
3. The building is provided with a common area carbon monoxide alarm system comprised of
individual alarms located in every corridor, hall, or lobby, in the immediate vicinity (within 10
feet) of the room(s)containing a fuel-burning appliance or attached garage and in the immediate
vicinity (within 10 feet) of any ventilated shaft, including, but not limited to, stair shafts, elevator
shafts, ventilation shafts on the story containing the fuel-burning appliance and any story within
two stories above or below such story. All such common area alarm devices shall be either
connected to an alarm monitoring station or shall be interconnected; meaning that detection of
carbon monoxide by any device in the system will activate all alarms.

Obviously if each unit has its own exit, there are no common areas or hallways.

Status
Not open for further replies.