EXO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkbob

Good morning all,
Does anybody know the origin of the term "EXO" as it relates to a disconnect?
Thanks for any input...

kwired

Electron manager
Good morning all,
Does anybody know the origin of the term "EXO" as it relates to a disconnect?
Thanks for any input...

Never heard of that term period, can you give us more information on what you are asking about?

The only thing that comes to my mind from "EXO" is possibly the "X0" terminal of a transformer, or in relation to disconnects maybe you are stumbling on to something that relates to a hazardous location rated disconnect?

Sparkbob

When I was an apprentice, I was told that a lever operated disconnect switch was referred to as an "EXO". I never questioned it, but was recently asked what "EXO"meant. I am at a loss to provide any back up for the nomenclature... First I thought it may be a White Book reference, but no luck there.
I find it referred to in So Cal Edison Metering requirements, but no definition is given. The Google search returned a link to an electrical estimating software vendor. In the brief description of how to estimate, it states to "list disconnect switches (EXO's), motor starters, and other control items...." This tells me that it is a somewhat recognized term, just maybe not widespread.
Thanks for the help!!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What I find is that EXO stands for externally operated. So a safety switch would be an EXO.

Found this on estimating
List disconnect switches (EXO's), motor starters and other control item on a separate take off sheet. Group these items as like and kind together for easier input to estimating program. Include disconnect switches: EXO 30 Amp 3 pole fused or non- fused, N3R or N1.

Status
Not open for further replies.