New pool heat pump and circ. pumps panel feeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello.

Looked at a job for a pool installer. Existing pool. Is going to add a heat pump and an additional pump.

Ball parking here as I'm not sure if he has another electrician, and the owner is also getting another number from another pool guy..

Theres an existing pump (? 12 amps)... there will be another pump added (? 12 amps) ... there will be a heat pump added mca 50, max 60 (? 38 amps)..
Pool light... receptacle..

I'm thinking of bringing out a 100 feed to a panel.. the distance is 270' one way.

I'm thinking to bring out #2's in an inch and a half....
But wondering if #3's in an inch and a quarter would work...

After looking at the 90 degree column, should I base the feeder from the 75 or 60 degree column...

For any type of vd and or 75 degree column, I feel the #2's.

Any confirmation would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think #2 will be fine-- assume you mean copper

If the #2 is in conduit then the overcurrent protective device may be determined with the 75C column

ritelec

Couple questions please.

As mentioned, I believe there are going to be a few numbers floating around.
But for my head...

I was unable to get into the house to see where I would get power for this pool panel.

If I can get a spot in the panel, that would be great... but I'm doubting it, so preparing for a different scenario if be...

For a second... load calculations aside..

"Larger" house (not mansion or micro-manision), with a detached garage with sub panel that I know of.

To the house is 200 amp seu to basement.

So, my question is,

1- If I where to tap off off that service (after the meter, before the existing panel), would it be permissible to feed that existing 200 main breaker panel (4/0 al) "AND" tap off 50% to feed either an external or internal 100 amp disconnect (or internal 100 amp main breaker panel) (2 al)?

2- Or might it be better to take from the existing 200 amp panel, a sub panel 60 or 100 amp, relocate some circs from the main panel to it.. then put the pool feeder in the main panel?

3- Or installing a 100 amp panel off the main 200 amp panel and feed the 100 amp pool panel and a couple misc. circuits I took out of the main to get the space for the 100 amp?

Also please confirm...

article 680.21 (C) mentions GFCI protection for branch circuits feeding pool pump motor outlets rated 15 or 20 amp 120/240v.

So... the heat pump shouldn't require a gfci breaker... correct?

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=153916

I will also have to review this in depth as the pool contractor always mentions putting two motors on one circuit..

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=154274

Thank you for all your help..

Oh... and happy spring..

Rich

ritelec

Would also like to add...
I've been looking at the Intermatic 8 circ panels with 2 time clocks in them...
That seems to be the only size my supplier has and I went to Intermatic sight, and it seams to be 8 circuit max on all their panels...

Do they make more circuit panels that any one here may know of.... or would it be best to install an external 12 circ. panel and feed a couple of clocks (and recpt)?

As far as the pool guy mentioning putting two motors on one circuit, besides maybe saving on a gfci breaker, it would help with the panel space.

Except for installing on wood that rots, or v-bar that rusts and looks terrible ( only my opinion from the pool pump areas that I've seen in the past)
is there an approved nice good looking method to installing pool panels and time clocks...?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.