I don't know why this needs to be replaced? Oldest panel I've seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLyons

Started a job at a local church to replace 3 panels one of which is this one (sorry for the blurry pic):

Without a complete rewire replacing the K&T why replace it? Can't you just put a dummy pass through on the neutral? Also it had a locking door covering the panel so nobody would inadvertently stick there hand in there. Not to mention all the fuses are 30A so you know they won't ever blow :lol:

I took this bad boy down cause my boss wants to display it and almost blew a disk not prepared for how heavy this thing is. Not sure but it feels like the "board" is made of about 1.5" of slate!

Any museums give a good buck for one of these? I have one twice the size lined up for next week.

kwired

Electron manager
Started a job at a local church to replace 3 panels one of which is this one (sorry for the blurry pic):

Without a complete rewire replacing the K&T why replace it? Can't you just put a dummy pass through on the neutral? Also it had a locking door covering the panel so nobody would inadvertently stick there hand in there. Not to mention all the fuses are 30A so you know they won't ever blow :lol:

I took this bad boy down cause my boss wants to display it and almost blew a disk not prepared for how heavy this thing is. Not sure but it feels like the "board" is made of about 1.5" of slate!

Any museums give a good buck for one of these? I have one twice the size lined up for next week.
Museum? giving you money for an item?

They are usually happy to accept donations and volunteer work, but rarely are willing to pay for items being displayed.

John120/240

Very cool. Somewhere on the web there is a picture of a Frank Adams panel. From St Louis I think. It has a marble ? or slate ? back board that all of the fuses are mounted to. Very cool picture.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That really is a pretty cool piece. Any indication of the year?

I'm with you though, I don't know why you would replace this with a modern panel without a complete rewire. I wouldn't.

PetrosA

I think most panelboards were originally some kind of stone as they didn't have the composites at the time. Later they started using Bakelite. I have some knife switches mounted on marble and at least one on what looks like slate. I had a 60A service meter/disconnect (now sold...) that used a kind of ceramic material that was a dark brown color and had a rough surface. Whatever you do, don't throw it away. Even if a museum doesn't buy it, a collector might.

The disconnect I sold got repurposed as a main lighting control for a private collection of old cars. They used a 12V contactor to control the lighting and the spring loaded disconnect to control the contactor. When you walk into the "garage" you throw the switch, which makes a VERY gratifying thunk (it's loud enough to drown out the noise of the contactor) and dozens of lights come on at once. The customer loves it and paid a very nice price just for the disconnect.

kwired

Electron manager
I think most panelboards were originally some kind of stone as they didn't have the composites at the time. Later they started using Bakelite. I have some knife switches mounted on marble and at least one on what looks like slate. I had a 60A service meter/disconnect (now sold...) that used a kind of ceramic material that was a dark brown color and had a rough surface. Whatever you do, don't throw it away. Even if a museum doesn't buy it, a collector might.

The disconnect I sold got repurposed as a main lighting control for a private collection of old cars. They used a 12V contactor to control the lighting and the spring loaded disconnect to control the contactor. When you walk into the "garage" you throw the switch, which makes a VERY gratifying thunk (it's loud enough to drown out the noise of the contactor) and dozens of lights come on at once. The customer loves it and paid a very nice price just for the disconnect.

Which edition of NEC had to be used to be able to pass the installation?:cool:

RLyons

Not sure of the age, I'll have to ask the church caretaker. The cool thing about it is it was made by GE right here in Schenectady, the electric city as it is called. They even have a GE/Edison museum here wonder if they have any on display?

Bet you find some real relics in NYC any pictures?

The bigger one of these I have yet to tackle runs about a dozen LV contactors for the church lighting....hard to find push buttons all around. :thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
I've seen doorbell pushbuttons used to control lighting contactors. What inspector wouldn't pass a 60A service disconnect being used to control a few milliamps for a contactor? :angel:

Sorry, I somehow missed that you were only using low voltage through this equipment.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector

No pic shows up for me

RLyons

Here is the "big boy" panel :lol:
Patented in 1901 and installed in 1910
Low voltage switch upgrade unknown.
The sides where the low voltage contacts are located is also made of slate and had to be drilled out and notched for the wires...incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.