1000 volt string tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Anyone know of a 1000 volt string sizing tool out there? Thanks.
I have one. It's called a calculator and note pad. :D

Sorry for the flippancy, but anyone who designs PV systems should be able to calculate temperature corrected module Voc and divide maximum allowable DC voltage by it to come up with a string size. It's not that hard.

Last edited:

ggunn

Occupation
One thing to be careful of is the actual max DC voltage tolerable by the inverter. I have seen inverters with "600" in the product name that will only tolerate 500VDC.

Not exactly. Midnite charge controllers accept a max input voltage of 150 Vdc or 250 Vdc.

The Power-One Trio model inverters are 1,000 Vdc-rated. Here's a link to the Power-One string sizing tool:

http://stringsizer.power-one.com/

Right but it works up to any voltage - doesnt give an error above 250 or anything. I like the way it is laid out

One thing to be careful of is the actual max DC voltage tolerable by the inverter. I have seen inverters with "600" in the product name that will only tolerate 500VDC

and of course the operating and/or mppt range need to be noted too. I dont think any "600V" inverter as a mppt range that goes all the way to 600.

ggunn

Occupation
...and of course the operating and/or mppt range need to be noted too. I dont think any "600V" inverter as a mppt range that goes all the way to 600.
Some of them don't even have a maximum voltage tolerance of 600V.

Status
Not open for further replies.