406.9(B)(1) In-use covers/chemical abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabbott

I am required to install a while-in-use cover in our wet process and chemical rooms at a dairy plant I am currently building.

I want to avoid using the polycarbonate style in-use cover as the enclosure tends to break quite easily. I am looking into a diecast powder coated aluminum enclosure. The owner is questioning how well the power coated aluminum will hold up to chemical abuse present in a milk plant.

Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks!

kwired

Electron manager
I am required to install a while-in-use cover in our wet process and chemical rooms at a dairy plant I am currently building.

I want to avoid using the polycarbonate style in-use cover as the enclosure tends to break quite easily. I am looking into a diecast powder coated aluminum enclosure. The owner is questioning how well the power coated aluminum will hold up to chemical abuse present in a milk plant.

Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks!

Well if you have any experience in the dairy industry you already know the answers to you questions. They use a lot of caustic or acids for cleaning as well as chlorine for sanitizing. Then there are other items used depending on the process that are corrosive as well, like ammonia or acids to vary Ph levels in a product or a process. And EVERYTHING in processing/handling areas is at very least hosed with water at least once a day if not more often then that. If your nonmetallic cover is not going to take the abuse - it will either need frequent replacement or you probably will want to be looking for something stainless to do the job. Aluminum will take more to break but likely will not stand up to the corrosive environment.

I don't believe the "in use" covers are required indoors. But at same time equipment that is always plugged in isn't exactly water resistant. I would suggest water resistant while not in use covers for general use receptacles that are only used temporarily, but for anything that is always plugged in you maybe need to check into hard wiring it if you can, or maybe even using watertight cord connectors instead of receptacles if you do need to unplug the item on a regular basis.

kabbott

Well if you have any experience in the dairy industry you already know the answers to you questions. They use a lot of caustic or acids for cleaning as well as chlorine for sanitizing. Then there are other items used depending on the process that are corrosive as well, like ammonia or acids to vary Ph levels in a product or a process. And EVERYTHING in processing/handling areas is at very least hosed with water at least once a day if not more often then that. If your nonmetallic cover is not going to take the abuse - it will either need frequent replacement or you probably will want to be looking for something stainless to do the job. Aluminum will take more to break but likely will not stand up to the corrosive environment.

I don't believe the "in use" covers are required indoors. But at same time equipment that is always plugged in isn't exactly water resistant. I would suggest water resistant while not in use covers for general use receptacles that are only used temporarily, but for anything that is always plugged in you maybe need to check into hard wiring it if you can, or maybe even using watertight cord connectors instead of receptacles if you do need to unplug the item on a regular basis.

The primary use of receptacles are only for general use, however 406.9(B)(1) states a receptacle "shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug gap is inserted." It continues to say an exception is for receptacles installed and "subject to routine high-pressure washing shall be permitted to have an enclosure is weahterpoof when the attachment plug is removed."

Does this exception allow me to use a weatherproof self-closing type cover? I can get non-metallic self-closing GFCI covers which are listed for 406.9(B)(2).

kwired

Electron manager
The primary use of receptacles are only for general use, however 406.9(B)(1) states a receptacle "shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug gap is inserted." It continues to say an exception is for receptacles installed and "subject to routine high-pressure washing shall be permitted to have an enclosure is weahterpoof when the attachment plug is removed."

Does this exception allow me to use a weatherproof self-closing type cover? I can get non-metallic self-closing GFCI covers which are listed for 406.9(B)(2).

A dairy (and many other foods processing plants) are an area where high pressure washing is pretty common practice.

I would go with non metallic which is weatherproof when the plug is removed myself, and for equipment that is to remain plugged in while being washed I would prefer watertight cord caps and connectors, and is what I use in a plant that has similar environment - kind of no longer a dairy plant, but still creates food grade products for the dairy industry and still has same kind of washdown environment as it did when it was a dairy plant.

If an inspector gave me a problem with it I would ask him which method he would rather have there if he were the one using the high pressure hose?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't believe the "in use" covers are required indoors. ...
In the 2002 code 406.8(B) contained the words "outdoor locations". Those words were removed in the 2005 code making the rule apply to all wet locations, not just outdoor wet locations. In the 2011 code the section became 406.9.

kwired

Electron manager
At work we use these:
Calbrite SS in use box's with covers

They are close to us but I'm sure there are others out there making them?

Also we use malleable iron in use covers not sure if they are Appleton or some other manufacture of malleable iron products but they hold up well also.

Malleable iron probably will stand up a long time, but if it is prone to even minor rust, it is not going to go well with dairy and other food product inspectors, painting it is even worse - if you have flaking paint they get more excited then if you have minor rust.

kabbott

At work we use these:
Calbrite SS in use box's with covers

They are close to us but I'm sure there are others out there making them?

Also we use malleable iron in use covers not sure if they are Appleton or some other manufacture of malleable iron products but they hold up well also.

That SS in-use box is by far the most ideal for a practicality side, I am working on getting a quote. That may change my opinion.

Thanks

cowboyjwc

Staff member
They also make an accordion style or another one that's pretty flush, but you can pull it out when needed.

We have such hard water here in our town that it ate away the metal one faster than I could break the plastic one.

hurk27

Malleable iron probably will stand up a long time, but if it is prone to even minor rust, it is not going to go well with dairy and other food product inspectors, painting it is even worse - if you have flaking paint they get more excited then if you have minor rust.

I didn't think about that one as the ones we use are heavily galvanized and I don't think I have seen one rust yet, but who knows?

kwired

Electron manager
I didn't think about that one as the ones we use are heavily galvanized and I don't think I have seen one rust yet, but who knows?
If ammonia is used in the process it doesn't get along with zinc. Ammonia was used for Ph control when I was around cheese processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.