UL

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrymac20

Please redirect if this is the wrong forum for this.....

My company are in the process of building our first UL listed products. We build electrical switchboards. We got our formal UL listing last week. We have to ensure that all our components are UL recognised etc. I have a question regarding the steelwork used to build the panel and the copper used for the busbar etc. Do these need to be specifically recognised materials for UL. Or are they considered to be globally recognised?

Thanks for you help.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Please redirect if this is the wrong forum for this.....

My company are in the process of building our first UL listed products. We build electrical switchboards. We got our formal UL listing last week. We have to ensure that all our components are UL recognised etc. I have a question regarding the steelwork used to build the panel and the copper used for the busbar etc. Do these need to be specifically recognised materials for UL. Or are they considered to be globally recognised?

Thanks for you help.

UL will have issued a file to you. It will tell you everything you need to know. i would get with the engineer that dealt with them when it was set up and go over it with him. A lot of things are not real obvious.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
UL will have issued a file to you. It will tell you everything you need to know. i would get with the engineer that dealt with them when it was set up and go over it with him. A lot of things are not real obvious.

Or put another way;

If you were to buy pre-fabricated sheet metal and/or bus bar systems from someone else and use it in your assembly, then yes, you would have to buy UL recognized or listed components. But if you are building switchboards under something like UL 891 or 1558 and the design if your entire switchgear is what UL has certified, then the sheet metal (and bus bar) designs would have been part of that listing process. So what petersonra is saying is that someone (obviously not you) in your organization would have been responsible for that level of detail when dealing with UL, so for you, that person will be best able to answer those questions.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
speaking of such parts - for reasons that are unclear to me my boss wants to add bus bar to our UL508a procedure. UL already allows UL listed bus bar but they also said that UL recognized bus bar would be allowed but I cannot find any suitable parts.

do you think they would let us just use copper bar of an appropriate grade and size?

or do you know of any UL recognized bus bar?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
speaking of such parts - for reasons that are unclear to me my boss wants to add bus bar to our UL508a procedure. UL already allows UL listed bus bar but they also said that UL recognized bus bar would be allowed but I cannot find any suitable parts.

do you think they would let us just use copper bar of an appropriate grade and size?

or do you know of any UL recognized bus bar?

A long time ago UL would just allow bare bus bar to be used, but with all the changes in requiring SCCR, I'm not so sure. I think now they require tested bracing systems.

Ritual and Woehner both make UL 508 listed bus bar systems for adding to control panels, then others like AB, Siemens, Scheider, ABB etc. brand label them and provide pre-fab mounting plates that hold their components. But is all you want is the bus system, try those two. I'm not sure, but Woehner may be marketed through Hoffman here in the US.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A long time ago UL would just allow bare bus bar to be used, but with all the changes in requiring SCCR, I'm not so sure. I think now they require tested bracing systems.

Ritual and Woehner both make UL 508 listed bus bar systems for adding to control panels, then others like AB, Siemens, Scheider, ABB etc. brand label them and provide pre-fab mounting plates that hold their components. But is all you want is the bus system, try those two. I'm not sure, but Woehner may be marketed through Hoffman here in the US.
they are both insanely expensive.

I don't think either has a flat bus bar either. they are an odd shape so you have to use their stuff to attach to it.

I want something I can bolt a class L fuse to directly to avoid having to use class L fuse holders. class L fuse holders are another crazy expensive thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.