Can anyone ID this cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Since it is not practical to put the start capacitor and a centrifugal switch in a single phase submersible, the start cap. is above ground in the control box. To control the cap. a potential relay is used to drop out the start cap. as the motor comes up to speed. This is the reason for the third conductor on a single phase submersible.
Black is L1, Yellow is L2 and the red is used for the start cap.
I don't know that it is so much impractical to put them in the motor as much as it is seen impractical to have to service those items when the pump may be hundreds of feet deep in the well, and those two items would be the most likely items to require the most maintenance on such an item.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks, I always thought it was just unlisted wire.

Is it found in the NEC?
Since it is limited to a single application I wouldn't expect it to be included in the NEC, it is covered by it's listing.

And yes well drillers use it for anything, maybe even gift wrapping as has been mentioned.

Let's not go down the road of well drillers and wiring being used in the same sentence, I could probably go on endlessly on that subject none of it leaving the well driller as looking like a good, strike that and replace with even mildly competent electrician:(

kwired

Electron manager
And I am perfectly willing to admit that I am not an even moderately competent well driller.
(Although I am good at everything else.):)
First requirement is to be a poor electrician:happyyes:

Seriously it is one of those things that needs specialized enough equipment to do that you are either all in or you not in at all.

Depending on where you live maybe there is licensing or permit processes that also limit this to only those that are serious about it.

Around here with a huge underground aquifer and fairly abundant water supply from it, wells were drilled like crazy for many years. Now there are more restrictions - but the majority of them apply more to high volume wells like what is used for crop irrigation, and even those are different from one area to another.

Not saying there isn't any requirements for having a domestic well for supplying a typical household, but for the most part they will not put much restriction on that kind of well at all as long as the pumping capacity is below certain levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.