Is there such a table or chart for UF, SE, and USE cable dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEM

I was wanting to know the widest dimension for dimension for UF, SE, and USE multi-conductor cables so as to have the greatest outer dimension to calculated the size of conductor required for a raceway. I wasn't able to find anything? So I thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone can help.
NEC 230.50 requires service entrance and feeder cables to be protected in conduit raceways where above ground on the exterior of a building or where subject to damage. Therefore, it would be helpful to have the outer diameter / dimension of a round or elliptical, or flat cable to determine the size of the conduit without having to decide by taking a physical onsite measure. Once known, R x R x 3.14 with provide the calculated fill of 53% or less of the conduit of choice. That is why I was looking for the dimensional information for these type cables.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I was wanting to know the widest dimension for dimension for UF, SE, and USE multi-conductor cables so as to have the greatest outer dimension to calculated the size of conductor required for a raceway. I wasn't able to find anything? So I thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone can help.
NEC 230.50 requires service entrance and feeder cables to be protected in conduit raceways where above ground on the exterior of a building or where subject to damage. Therefore, it would be helpful to have the outer diameter / dimension of a round or elliptical, or flat cable to determine the size of the conduit without having to decide by taking a physical onsite measure. Once known, R x R x 3.14 with provide the calculated fill of 53% or less of the conduit of choice. That is why I was looking for the dimensional information for these type cables.

You don't need to know the total area. Only the largest measurement is used and the cable is treated as a circle with that diameter. A UF cable that is an inch wide will be figured as having .785 square inches.

See Chapter 9 Tables Table 1, Notes to tables (9).

Edit to add: The manufactures should have the cable dimensions on their web sites. I just checked and Southwire does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.