PVC Coated Rigid(Glavanized)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

If the conduit is on strut with conduit clamps does the strut & clamp have to be PVC coated or could it be steel? Wondering about OVC and steel coming in contact with each other although there are many time where you run PVC with Rigid elbows so I guess that blows my theory/thought away. But then why are there Galvanized PVC coated couplings and one hole straps?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the conduit is on strut with conduit clamps does the strut & clamp have to be PVC coated or could it be steel? Wondering about OVC and steel coming in contact with each other although there are many time where you run PVC with Rigid elbows so I guess that blows my theory/thought away. But then why are there Galvanized PVC coated couplings and one hole straps?
I can think of two reasons:

1. So that the corrosive environment does not attack the fittings themselves.
2. To reduce the chances of the clamp or strap cutting through the PVC on the pipe.

Having PVC come in contact with steel has no particular significance except where mechanical damage to the PVC is concerned.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If they have specified PVC coated rigid conduit, I can't imagine that they would let you use standard strut. Every time I have had PVC coated rigid in the design specs, they have specified fiberglass of stainless steel strut.

Status
Not open for further replies.