Circuit Breaker Numbering vs Panel Space Numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat Trace

Is there any documented industry standard for numbering breakers versus their location in the panel? For example, if all breakers are single pole the break #12 is in panel space #12, 13 is in 13 and so on. But, once you thrown in a couple of 2-pole breakers, breaker 13 may occupy spaces 17 and 19. So, on the panel schedule, would you label it CB-13 or CB-17? What about when you have a number of empty spaces in the panel but then have a breaker in the last space - say space 41? Would the breaker be labeled CB-41 or just count the empty spaces from you last breaker and let the breaker in space 41 be labeled CB-23 for example?

I've seen several different methods but I haven't been able to find a standard - just preferences.

Thanks in advance!

John120/240

To each his own method. What I would do is put odds on the left & evens on the right side. For two & three pole breakers if it takes up spaces 5,7,9 that is what you put on the panel schedule. For blank space don't skip a number just leave the schedule blank.

If you mount the panel with the mains at the bottom, then you will have odds on the right & evens on the left if you use a standard panel cover with the numbers embossed.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is there any documented industry standard for numbering breakers versus their location in the panel? For example, if all breakers are single pole the break #12 is in panel space #12, 13 is in 13 and so on. But, once you thrown in a couple of 2-pole breakers, breaker 13 may occupy spaces 17 and 19. So, on the panel schedule, would you label it CB-13 or CB-17? What about when you have a number of empty spaces in the panel but then have a breaker in the last space - say space 41? Would the breaker be labeled CB-41 or just count the empty spaces from you last breaker and let the breaker in space 41 be labeled CB-23 for example?

I've seen several different methods but I haven't been able to find a standard - just preferences.

Thanks in advance!

If you know in advance that half-space breakers are going to be used, or if there are two or three pole breakers thrown in with full size single pole, the most consistent way to number the breakers is by the first (or last) space that they occupy, and just not worry about expecting breaker numbers to be sequential.
If the panel is marked with full sized slots numbered, I would call the two half-width breakers in that position #-A and #-B.

BostonEE

I have always labeled the breaker according to the pole or space it occupies. So if a 42-pole panel only has one breaker and it occupies the lowest, left space I would label it CB-41.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What about when you have a number of empty spaces in the panel but then have a breaker in the last space - say space 41? Would the breaker be labeled CB-41 or just count the empty spaces from you last breaker and let the breaker in space 41 be labeled CB-23 for example?

Thanks in advance!

Spare breakers must be labeled accordingly. You cannot just leave those spaces blank on the panel directory.

408.4 Field Identification Required.
(A) Circuit Directory or Circuit Identification. Every cir-
cuit and circuit modification shall be legibly identified as to
its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use. The identifi-
cation shall include sufficient detail to allow each circuit to
be distinguished from all others. Spare positions that con-
tain unused overcurrent devices or switches shall be de-
scribed accordingly.
The identification shall be included in
a circuit directory that is located on the face or inside of the
panel door in the case of a panelboard, and located at each
switch or circuit breaker in a switchboard. No circuit shall
be described in a manner that depends on transient condi-
tions of occupancy.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But empty spaces with no breakers (and a suitable cover insert) do not need to be described, even though they are counted when numbering the slots.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
My vote is for numbering the panel spaces or slots. Not the actual breakers.

Otherwise, if someone comes back and adds a breaker in an empty slot, everything will be mixed up.

And I hate it when people put the numbers on the breakers. I have seen so many panels where the breakers have been moved around, and the numbers are everywhere, and half the numbers are missing. Then does 41 on the panel schedule mean the 41st slot, or does it mean the breaker with the 41 on it, that is sitting in some random position.

iwire

Staff member

Thanks in advance!

We label per space, not breaker.

A two pole might be 1 & 3, a three pole 2,4,6.

Status
Not open for further replies.