Temporary Pole grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What kind of pole? Never mind that doesn't matter. :)

Even for a temporary installation you would need to follow the Article 250 requirments for grounding electrodes. Wrapping a #6 around a pole isn't one of them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That method was in our utility standards for temporary power services 15 years or so ago. I don't think NEC has ever permitted it, but it was the common practice around here for many years.

Last edited:
That method was in our utility standards for temporary power services 15 years or so ago. I don't then NEC has very permitted it, but it was the common practice around here for many years.

It's called "butt grounding" or "pole butt grounding". I've only heard of it being used in utility distribution systems (under, or possibly ignoring, NESC). There are some MH threads about it if you search.

ceb58

What kind of pole? Never mind that doesn't matter. :)

Even for a temporary installation you would need to follow the Article 250 requirments for grounding electrodes. Wrapping a #6 around a pole isn't one of them.

We can wrap it around the pole here,.......................... as long as it gets connected to 2 ground rods :D

Status
Not open for further replies.