Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

My parents panel from the early 70s... Zinsco and no breaker smaller than a 30A. :blink:

My grandparents' house was built and wired by the same people that did my parents' and it has a ton of single 30s but at least it does have two single 20s and they don't have a Zinsco panel. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_3438.jpg
    IMG_3438.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3439.jpg
    IMG_3439.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3440.jpg
    IMG_3440.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
Does that number on the handle actually mean anything? I thought they all tripped, or failed to trip, at the same level regardless of that number:lol:

RLyons

I have just this week and from what I have heard they are just as questionable as FPE breakers. Not to mention the T&B replacement for a 2p 20A is $100!

I don't understand how unlike a normal breaker which makes contact with one side of the buss these breakers clip over both busses but it still takes 2 breaker positions to get 240v???

norcal

I have just this week and from what I have heard they are just as questionable as FPE breakers. Not to mention the T&B replacement for a 2p 20A is $100!

I don't understand how unlike a normal breaker which makes contact with one side of the buss these breakers clip over both busses but it still takes 2 breaker positions to get 240v???

The clips on the breakers alternate, if single pole Zinsco's are used the installer has to adjust them so they are not all on one leg. for a really odd sight, the Zinsco 3 phase plug-in loadcenter interiors are a strange beast.

The one good thing about that Zinsco panel is the bus is copper, the AL bus is what gives the most problems, the time for Zinsco/Sylvania panels is long gone, time to scrap them.

A 20A 2 pole Zinsco bolt-on breaker was $140 used as no replacements are being made for them.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Actually it's not "supposed" to be anything. Just a trade practice.

Right, and if there is one voltage system on a premises you can take that even further and not identify any ungrounded conductors at all if you wish, high leg being exception for those systems that have one. And that has been somewhat my practice over the years. If I run multiple three phase motors through same raceway, I generally ran three black wires for motor 1, three red wires for motor 2, three red wires for motor 3.... I generally did not care about rotation - most of what I have worked on it is not that critical that we can't "bump" it to check rotation when near completion and simply reverse a couple leads at the controller if rotation is wrong, actually takes less time then using ID methods and you still have a 50-50 chance of it being right. I may still do this practice if multiple voltages are present, and use ID tape to identify the required ID of voltage and phase, or the other way is to still go with three colors of insulation and use ID tape or other methods to isolate each individual circuit. If you get in a pinch and don't have the right color of wire it can really mess up your identification methods though, yet in most circumstances anyone that is qualified to work on it probably has little trouble figuring out what is there should you have one motor in the place that has three black conductors supplying it with orange, yellow and brown tape identifying each conductor instead of orange, yellow and brown conductor insulation:roll:

Next thing you know he will be telling everyone about the secret handshake.

OOPS.....:eek:hmy:
Now we're going to have to change it:(

Status
Not open for further replies.