Breaker Control Switch ANSI Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

Long time reader first time poster. As long as I've been designing medium voltage switchgear I have been labeling my vacuum breaker control switches as 69 devices from ANSI C37.2. (Permissive Control Device). This is typically a decked switch, like an Electro-switch or Shallco. Two customers have now asked me to change that designator to 52CS... which I am alright with, but since the switch itself is not a part of the breaker I was wondering whether my thinking was incorrect or if I am alright to use the 69 designation on future jobs?

Any well supported opinions would be greatly helpful.

Thanks.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
52CS would be the switch that actually closes or opens the breaker, it directly feeds the breaker operating circuit. 69 would be an ADDITIONAL switch in series with the 52CS circuit that allows this to take place, hence the term "permissive". So on the front of the switchgear, you would have the 52CS, but in the control room, ie generator control facility, you might have multiple 69 switches for various reasons, cascading up into a bigger picture of what is going on. A 69 can be a relay as well, a 52CS is always a switch. So when someone is looking at a flow diagram for the switch to operate a breaker, they may look right past a 69 designation searching for a 52.

Also, 69 is typically just a binary switch, On or Off, one contact. A 52CS would be Open or Close, which means contacts in each position.

Last edited:

SG-1

My only experience that differs from Jraef is that our 69 switches are usually multi-deck with lots of contacts. The most common use is for Local/Remote breaker control selection & Manual/Automatic selection for automatic throw-over schemes using Medium Voltage breakers.

zxfabb

If the on/off control switch or pushbutton is a part of the circuit-breaker, we use device number 52CS. If it is a separate one, we'd rather use number "1" which means a master element.

Number "69" is a switch or relay to permit/forbid closing the breaker. Number "43" can be used as "local/remote" or "manual/auto" selection.

SG-1

If the on/off control switch or pushbutton is a part of the circuit-breaker, we use device number 52CS. If it is a separate one, we'd rather use number "1" which means a master element.

Number "69" is a switch or relay to permit/forbid closing the breaker. Number "43" can be used as "local/remote" or "manual/auto" selection.

Yes you are correct, i should have said "43" for local/remote & manual/auto. Had "69" on the brain from reading the other posts. Obviously my blondness asserting itself. :slaphead: Many times a "69" is key locked & under the POCO control.

We also use 43 to designate local/remote or auto/manual.

So I have one responder suggesting my 69 designation become 52CS even though there are pushbuttons on the breaker itself to operate it, and one suggesting this should be a 1 designation for Master Element. Either way, I think my 69 designation needs to go. You all are very helpful!

SG-1

We also use 43 to designate local/remote or auto/manual.

So I have one responder suggesting my 69 designation become 52CS even though there are pushbuttons on the breaker itself to operate it, and one suggesting this should be a 1 designation for Master Element. Either way, I think my 69 designation needs to go. You all are very helpful!

I started with Westinghouse testing DHP MV switchgear assemblies 30+ years ago. The switch on the door with the pistol grip handle has always been designated as CS/C or CS/T or CS/SC ( slip close ) etc... on our drawings. The mechanical push buttons on the breaker itself do not appear on the electrical schematics.

I can remember one or two customers that did insist on some other designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.