Cable for hospital grade, isolated ground device

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What type of MC cable would I use for a hospital grade, isolated ground device? Isolated ground MC cable?
Before we talk about the cable I think you need to know that there is no such thing as a HG isolated ground receptacle. The terms Hospital Grade and Isolated Ground are contradictory.

There is no way a device can meet the requirements of 517.13 and be isolated ground. Before the 2011 cycle there was an article section 517.16 that could never be used because of 517.13,

Roger

Before we talk about the cable I think you need to know that there is no such thing as a HG isolated ground receptacle. The terms Hospital Grade and Isolated Ground are contradictory.

There is no way a device can meet the requirements of 517.13 and be isolated ground. Before the 2011 cycle there was an article section 517.16 that could never be used because of 517.13,

Roger

That's strange? Why does Leviton offer then? See attached.

Attachments

• Product Spec or Info Sheet - 8300-IGB.pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 1

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That's strange? Why does Leviton offer then? See attached.
You got me and that's the first time I've seen that device so I stand corrected

With that said, they can not be used in a patient care area for the reasons I posted above and if you notice, 517.16 was removed in 2011. Patient care areas require parallel or redundant grounding.

Isolating the metalic raceway from the insulated conductor does not acheive redundancy and is in violation of 517.13

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
To be correct I should have said 517.16 was changed to prohibit Isolated Ground Receptacles in lieu of it being removed.

Roger

You got me and that's the first time I've seen that device so I stand corrected

With that said, they can not be used in a patient care area for the reasons I posted above and if you notice, 517.16 was removed in 2011. Patient care areas require parallel or redundant grounding.

Isolating the metalic raceway from the insulated conductor does not acheive redundancy and is in violation of 517.13

Roger

This is for a laboratory, not a patient care area so I should be ok. What would you suggest using? HCF MC cable or IG MC cable?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is for a laboratory, not a patient care area so I should be ok. What would you suggest using? HCF MC cable or IG MC cable?
Since it's in a lab you really don't need a HG receptacle and for this area either cable is fine. I would use the cheaper of the two choices.

Roger

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Our lab power installer typically installs HG IG receptacles all the time. Once I saw what those cost, I said HG was not a requirement (I think they use those to upsell and get a bit more profit). Really, I'm no fan of IG either, as each lab has its own transformer, EGCs are run in each conduit, and the circuits tend to be dedicated.

I thought HG was a durability standard. These can take the most plug mate/demates while maintaining required prong pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.