Duct Bank Derating - 9 Conduits

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcorbin

I want to install 9 sets of a 3-wire+neutral feed in a 9-conduit ductbank (3x3). It's a 3,000 amp, 480Y/277V feed.

Figure B.310.2 shows this configuration, but Table B.310.5, the only table to refer to Figure B.310.2, calls out one conductor per conduit.

I will be using a 0.8 factor for more than 3 CCC's, and a soil impedance rho of 0.9, but I'm at a loss on calculating the derating factor for ambient temperature, since it doesn't seem to fit the table.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
First of all, I agree with ron: you better calculate the conductor temperature as per: The Calculation of the Temperature Rise and Load Capability of Cable Systems, by J.H. Neher and M. H. McGrath.
Nevertheless, NEC Informative Annex B Application Information for Ampacity Calculation recommends:
?For additional information concerning the application of these ampacities, see
IEEE/ICEA Standard S-135/P-46-426, Power Cable Ampacities, and IEEE Standard 835-1994, Standard Power Cable Ampacity Tables.?
According to IEEE-835/1994 page 7 for 9 circuits of 3*1/c copper conductors, ins.90oC, RHO=90 25dgr.C earth, 100 LF: 1000 MCM 340 A allowed.
The standard indicates also, how to calculate the temperature according to J.H.Neher and M.H.McGrath.

bcorbin

There are programs that can do it quite simply and save you a lot of headache.

The pricetag on that software would cause me a lot of heartache too. :happysad:

Can I use the RHO "60" column if I encase the duct bank in concrete?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.