Wiring Outdoor ATM

Status
Not open for further replies.

WirenutGP

Does the receptacle inside the cabinet of an ATM machine need GFCI protection when the machine is installed outdoors?

thanks

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Would it be considered a vending machine?

It does not meet the definition of "Vending machine"

But, does a receptacle inside the vending machine required to be GFCI?

422.51 says the GFCI must be integral part of the attachment plug or if manufactured before 2005 then it must be plugged into a GFCI protected circuit.

Is this a portable ATM or a kiosk? I've found that some of the portable ones are guaranteed to trip the GFCI. The last set I dealt with had a cisco wireless router inside (not a wifi box, a real commercial unit), and that device had enough leakage to trip immediately.

To make things work I had to isolate the router from all metal and remove the EGC from it. Since it's completely enclosed by the cabinet, and otherwise electrically isolated from everything else, I called it good for the weekend. Oh, and the ATM crew admitted that it was their problem, not a bad GFCI :D.

WirenutGP

I'm not sure the difference between a portable and a kiosk. The cabinet is about 5' tall and 24" wide and will be bolted to a wall, it is to have a receptacle and data jack inside for the equipment which gets installed be the vendors techs. The more I look into this the more confused I get.

The receptacle is not accessible to the public so Art. 210.8 would not apply, but Art. 422 may if it's considered a vending machine. ATM's meet all the definition of vending equipment but the gray area is that the UL standards for vending machines are UL 541, UL 751. ATM machines are listed under UL 60950 Banking Equipment.

To play it safe I'm thinking a GFCI breaker is in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.