240V 3/Phase A/C Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpatovi

1. How can I determine if I have an existing 208/120Y or Delta system?
2. How can I wire this A/C unit from a 208V service? Will I need 1, 2, or 3 buck boost transformers?

Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
1. Without an on-site check, you can often find out the service voltage from the Power Supplier (POCO)
Beyond that, you can do an on-site check. A 240/120 3 phase delta system will have a high-leg (208 v to neutral)
2. A number of units will operate on 208/230, I would check the unit specs first,. If not, a 208 to 240 boost can normally be handled with two transformers.

Last edited:

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Modern HVACR units

Modern HVACR units

As Vogt has stated, most modern HVACR units are all rated for 208-230V usage in the USA.

J.P.

I usually glance at the transformers on the pole when driving in. 3 means Y and 2 delta.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this.... But

Most homes are supplied by a single split phase of 120/240. It's cheaper to run one line for the POCO than 3 when it's not needed.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
1. How can I determine if I have an existing 208/120Y or Delta system?
You check the voltage
2. How can I wire this A/C unit from a 208V service? Will I need 1, 2, or 3 buck boost transformers?

Thanks!
You wire it up. I can't think of last time I saw an A/C unit that was not compatible with 208V or 240V

kwired

Electron manager
I usually glance at the transformers on the pole when driving in. 3 means Y and 2 delta.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this.... But

Most homes are supplied by a single split phase of 120/240. It's cheaper to run one line for the POCO than 3 when it's not needed.
You will get burned around here if you expect all three unit transformer banks to be wye. Many of them in rural areas are full delta. If they are Wye they are likely 480/277 otherwise they are 240/120 delta. Most of them are supplying a majority of motor loads and line to neutral loads are somewhat minimal so we can still get 120 volts, but the line to line loads is nice to have a few extra volts on a motor that is designed for 230 volts in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.