GFCI receptacle with a GFCI breaker??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Commonly done but usually accidentally. I agree it will work. AFCI and GFCI will also work together and most afci's has some gfci built in-

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
With GFCIs in series, the only issue is that either one of the devices or both of the devices will trip on a ground fault. Not a real issue, except finding both devices to reset them.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Who cares if one works or not if the other works?

One of the two devices will work. That's all that anybody should care about.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well, if it turns out to be a GFCI receptacle behind a full height bookcase filled with books, it does matter which one tripped.

Tapatalk!

north star

= = ( - ) = =

jaylectricity asked:
Who cares if one works or not if the other works?........One of the two devices will work.
That's all that anybody should care about."
I respectively disagree !......Cost should always be a prudent consideration for any project ! :thumbsup:

= = ( - ) = =

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
= = ( - ) = =

I respectively disagree !......Cost should always be a prudent consideration for any project ! :thumbsup:

= = ( - ) = =

I didn't realize we were debating whether or not you "should" use both. I thought we were talking about a situation where both were being used for some reason or another.

Also I never know how to take that "thumbs up" emoji at the end of posts that aren't congratulating me for being right.

kwired

Electron manager
Commonly done but usually accidentally. I agree it will work. AFCI and GFCI will also work together and most afci's has some gfci built in-[/QUOT

most afci's has some gfci built in ??? but not to be substituted for---
That is correct, the "ground fault protection" that is built in is essentially the same thing as GFCI but does not meet Class A GFCI trip levels. Class A trip level is 4-6 mA where the GFP in an AFCI breaker is 30 mA or even more.

Many also believe this GFP alone provides us with more reliable protection from arcing faults then the rest of the arc detection components.

Status
Not open for further replies.