480V compressor with in 50 feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee95

I have a Kaeser compressor, 480V, 3phase and being fed from a panel via circuit breaker. Panel and compressor is located within 50 feet.
If I am able to see the compressor from the panel, do I need a separate disconnect?
Criteria is distance or sight of distance?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, If the disconnect is within 50 ft AND in sight from the compressor motor and controller you have satisfied 430.102(A) & (B).
As far as the "lockable" that would not apply to the controller and the application to the motor is dependent on stipulations noted in 430.102(B) exceptions.

With some of the larger compressors, although the compressor itself might be "in sight from", the controller and/or motor is located in such a place that the view of the disconnect is blocked by the unit. Again, in my opinion, that would not qualify.

Last edited:

Dee95

IMO, If the disconnect is within 50 ft AND in sight from the compressor motor and controller you have satisfied 430.102(A) & (B).
As far as the "lockable" that would not apply to the controller and the application to the motor is dependent on stipulations noted in 430.102(B) exceptions.

With some of the larger compressors, although the compressor itself might be "in sight from", the controller and/or motor is located in such a place that the view of the disconnect is blocked by the unit. Again, in my opinion, that would not qualify.

So, I dont have a disconnect, all I have is a distribution panel that has a 3 pole circuit breaker feeding the compressor with in 50 feet in sight.

kwired

Electron manager
So, I dont have a disconnect, all I have is a distribution panel that has a 3 pole circuit breaker feeding the compressor with in 50 feet in sight.
The breaker is allowed to serve as the "required disconnect" with no additional disconnecting means if all the necessary conditions are met.

kwired

Electron manager
Other things to consider

is this strictly a 430 application - 430 generally wants a disconnecting means within sight of the motor.

or is it a 422 application - Though the disconnecting means requirements are generally the same they are different sections and could vary some.

you didn't mention what kind of compressor this is so 440 could also apply if it is for refrigeration, but again the requirements are generally about the same as 430 for disconnecting means.

If there is disconnecting means on the unit already which could be likely if it is a self contained unit - and likely does make it either 422 or 440 application as well, then it is allowed to serve as the required disconnecting means.

Dee95

sk-15.jpg
Other things to consider

is this strictly a 430 application - 430 generally wants a disconnecting means within sight of the motor.

or is it a 422 application - Though the disconnecting means requirements are generally the same they are different sections and could vary some.

you didn't mention what kind of compressor this is so 440 could also apply if it is for refrigeration, but again the requirements are generally about the same as 430 for disconnecting means.

If there is disconnecting means on the unit already which could be likely if it is a self contained unit - and likely does make it either 422 or 440 application as well, then it is allowed to serve as the required disconnecting means.

it is a self contained unit as you can see in the picture. Based on your reply I dont need a desperate disconnect, circuit breaker feeding is enough right?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
sight unseen... the install, as described, would be NEC compliant.

kwired

Electron manager
View attachment 10024

it is a self contained unit as you can see in the picture. Based on your reply I dont need a desperate disconnect, circuit breaker feeding is enough right?
If the breaker meets the definition of "within sight" then yes.

From art 100:
In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight).
Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be ?in
sight from,? ?within sight from,? or ?within sight of,? and
so forth, another equipment, the specified equipment is to be
visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.

Even a desperate (I bet you meant separate:)) disconnect could be up to 50 feet away, but still needs to be visible from the equipment to serve this local disconnecting means purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.