Suggestions for EV chargers for hotel Guests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with EV chargers and has any recomendations for use at commercial like a hotel for their guests.

cadpoint

It's a mess, depends on your customers really, you better run two pipes out to each.

I talked with one guy who says he always runs two pipes out to any charge station!

Eight months old article but I thought it was has some important points.

EEnews.net

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
It's a mess, depends on your customers really, you better run two pipes out to each.

I talked with one guy who says he always runs two pipes out to any charge station!

Eight months old article but I thought it was has some important points.

EEnews.net

i just put my first charging station in wed....

the owner of one of the companies i do work for
bought a tesla S.

it needs a 1 phase 208~240 vac 50 amp plug.
standard nema 14-50. the car has it's own smart
charger built in.

took the third leg off the breaker, pulled a neutral,
and brought it out, hit a fused disconnect, and put
in an additional 120 V 30 amp plug. someone else
at the company has a vehicle to charge as well, and
needed 120 volts.

why can't someone selling you a electric car
give you a way to fill it up without having
someone else supply the hardware?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
At a hotel the car will be parked for s long enough time that a class 2 or even class 1 charger will be good enough for an overnight guest. That avoids the problems of which ultrafast charging standard to support.

Tapatalk!

Rampage_Rick

Chevy Volt owner here. I'm assuming the hotel has little need for a smart unit like a ChargePoint, and they just want to provide a basic service for their customers? I'd go with a Clipper Creek CS-40. They already have a huge install base, and they're quite reliable. It'll charge all of the EVs on the market (Teslas come with an adapter)

You can get one here for $1311.75 using the coupon code SPRING25 (valid until Apr 15th, I got the code since I'm a past customer)

You could go with a higher amperage unit, but the majority of EVs won't make use of it. Volts, earlier Leafs, Smart EVs, and the like only draw up to 3.3 kW. Some of the newer Leafs will draw up to 6.6kW. Aside from Tesla, can't think of any other EVs that have a higher wattage charger.

Oh, and I'd recommend a couple 120V receptacles as well. Obviously if the 240V unit is in use this gives a slower but viable alternative with a minimal installation cost.

why can't someone selling you a electric car give you a way to fill it up without having someone else supply the hardware?
Every EV I can think of comes with a charge cord that lets you fill up from a standard 120V receptacle. The downside is the slow charge rate (9 hours for a Volt, 47 hours for a 60kWh Tesla) Obviously 240V charging improves this greatly. This leads to an additional issue: 240V receptacles are relatively uncommon, nor are they standardized. I carry around 3 different adapters for the outlets I commonly find around here. Hardwired units eliminate the guesswork.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Chevy Volt owner here. I'm assuming the hotel has little need for a smart unit like a ChargePoint, and they just want to provide a basic service for their customers? I'd go with a Clipper Creek CS-40. They already have a huge install base, and they're quite reliable. It'll charge all of the EVs on the market (Teslas come with an adapter)

You can get one here for $1311.75 using the coupon code SPRING25 (valid until Apr 15th, I got the code since I'm a past customer)

You could go with a higher amperage unit, but the majority of EVs won't make use of it. Volts, earlier Leafs, Smart EVs, and the like only draw up to 3.3 kW. Some of the newer Leafs will draw up to 6.6kW. Aside from Tesla, can't think of any other EVs that have a higher wattage charger.

Oh, and I'd recommend a couple 120V receptacles as well. Obviously if the 240V unit is in use this gives a slower but viable alternative with a minimal installation cost.

Every EV I can think of comes with a charge cord that lets you fill up from a standard 120V receptacle. The downside is the slow charge rate (9 hours for a Volt, 47 hours for a 60kWh Tesla) Obviously 240V charging improves this greatly. This leads to an additional issue: 240V receptacles are relatively uncommon, nor are they standardized. I carry around 3 different adapters for the outlets I commonly find around here. Hardwired units eliminate the guesswork.

Great i'll take a look at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.