Panel Board verses Disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the "shutoff / Disconnect" switch / box located by an air conditioner condenser, or water heater considered a PANEL BOARD?

The reason I ask this group is I get different answers from various sources.

kwired

Electron manager
From Art 100 definitions:

Panelboard. A single panel or group of panel units designed
for assembly in the form of a single panel, including
buses and automatic overcurrent devices, and equipped
with or without switches for the control of light, heat, or
power circuits; designed to be placed in a cabinet or cutout
box placed in or against a wall, partition, or other support;
and accessible only from the front.

If the disconnect is just a switch and contains no overcurrent devices then it is not a panelboard, if it has overcurrent devices in it then it most likely is a panelboard. A panelboard can be something that has just one overcurrent device.

Disconnect clearances?

Disconnect clearances?

What I would normally find in an older home by the AC would have a breaker. Thus it would be considered to be a Panel Board and would then require the standard 36 inches of clearance. Correct.

Now on the newer homes there is not a breaker, just a slide out disconnect bar, which I would not consider to be a panel.

If it is not a panel, how much clearance would be required?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A single breaker in an enclosure is not a panelboard.

That being said, the requirements for work space are the same no matter what device you use. There has been much debate on this forum as to the application of 110.26 to AC equipment disconnects. This is one that you must know what your AHJ says before you make the installation as that is the opinion that really counts.

kwired

Electron manager
A single breaker in an enclosure is not a panelboard.

I can't say I come up with that conclusion based on the art 100 definition unless you are saying that "automatic overcurrent devices" mentioned is in plural form meaning there must be more then one overcurrent device to qualify.

Even then would that make a two pole breaker be considered one or two overcurrent devices?

Now maybe a single breaker with lugs on both ends in an enclosure may not fit the bill, but a typical 2 pole breaker used as the disconnecting means at an AC unit, is usually a 2 space bus with a plug on breaker attached to it - that is a panelboard IMO.

Panelboard. A single panel or group of panel units designed
for assembly in the form of a single panel, including
buses and automatic overcurrent devices, and equipped
with or without switches for the control of light, heat, or
power circuits; designed to be placed in a cabinet or cutout
box placed in or against a wall, partition, or other support;
and accessible only from the front.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I can't say I come up with that conclusion based on the art 100 definition unless you are saying that "automatic overcurrent devices" mentioned is in plural form meaning there must be more then one overcurrent device to qualify.

Even then would that make a two pole breaker be considered one or two overcurrent devices?

Now maybe a single breaker with lugs on both ends in an enclosure may not fit the bill, but a typical 2 pole breaker used as the disconnecting means at an AC unit, is usually a 2 space bus with a plug on breaker attached to it - that is a panelboard IMO.
It looks like Square D agrees with you as their small breaker enclosures are load centers, but their AC disconnect has a molded case switch and not a molded case breaker, and that device is not a load center. Not exactly how that works as there is no physical difference between a QO molded case switch and a QO molded case breaker.

As to the original question, it doesn't make any difference what you call the disconnect. The work space rules are the same no matter what you call it.

Now that does open up the old question of "does the AC disconnect require 110.26 workspace?" That has been debated here a number of times.

I love it when everything is straight forward

I love it when everything is straight forward

I appreciate everyone's comments!

One other thought

One other thought

If a Panel Board can be powered off upstream, isn't there a caveat that says it does not need 36 inches of clearance? This being that the panel board can be powered off for service.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If a Panel Board can be powered off upstream, isn't there a caveat that says it does not need 36 inches of clearance? This being that the panel board can be powered off for service.
The code does not say that. If it did, then only the service disconnect would need 110.26 working space.

kwired

Electron manager
The code does not say that. If it did, then only the service disconnect would need 110.26 working space.
But yet 110.26 contains wording like "likely to be worked on while energized" or something like that making it pretty wide open to interpretation. Many AHJ kind of automatically place all panelboards in the category of likely to be worked on while energized though.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
But yet 110.26 contains wording like "likely to be worked on while energized" or something like that making it pretty wide open to interpretation. Many AHJ kind of automatically place all panelboards in the category of likely to be worked on while energized though.
This section needs work...it is my opinion that ALL electrical equipment is likely to be worked on while energized.

Status
Not open for further replies.