Bond neutral bar to breaker box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milemaker13

I changed out a household breaker box this weekend. Typical two phase box with a neutral bar. There was no bonding jumper in the old box, and the new box doesn't have one either.

I did not get a good solid reading from the neutral bar to the steel conduit.

Should I add a jumper wire from the neutral bar to the steel breaker box?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You bond at the service where the Main OCD is. If this is a Sub panel then no. You could have a problem at the service.

milemaker13

This is the main service panel, where the 100 amp main breaker is located. So, I guess my answer is "yes".

I figured as much, but grounding/bonding is confusing at times... so I just wanted to check with the greatest minds in electrical:thumbsup:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
While you are waiting on one of those minds, take a glance at 250.24(B) & 250.28. A system bond jumper is required (on service panels)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
This is the main service panel, where the 100 amp main breaker is located. So, I guess my answer is "yes".

I figured as much, but grounding/bonding is confusing at times... so I just wanted to check with the greatest minds in electrical:thumbsup:

You are not alone. You have no idea how many times this is done incorrectly on services like multi-family.

ceb58

I changed out a household breaker box this weekend. Typical two phase box with a neutral bar. There was no bonding jumper in the old box, and the new box doesn't have one either.

I did not get a good solid reading from the neutral bar to the steel conduit.

Should I add a jumper wire from the neutral bar to the steel breaker box?

The panel should have came with the green bonding screw. It is screwed through the neutral bar into the enclosure to bond them together, this would be your main bonding jumper.

kwired

Electron manager
The panel should have came with the green bonding screw. It is screwed through the neutral bar into the enclosure to bond them together, this would be your main bonding jumper.
And typically is not already installed either, make sure you did not throw it out with the instructions and other items that were inside that looked like might be trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.