Tray Cable - Help from those with Industrial Experience Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
For Industrial locations, the code permits single conductor cables (NEC 392.10(B)1), which can basically be just THHN wire with a marking of "For CT Use". The question is, how are these single cables terminated in a box or piece of machinery? Is there a connector for multiple individual conductors to enter thru one knock-out? Is it done with one connector per cable thru a non-ferrous surface (to prevent inductive heating). Other ways? Photos would be great and as always, thanks for any help with this. I've never used anything other than multiconductor tray cable in the past, so this is new ground for me.

Thanks again,

Mark

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note your 1/0 minimum for single conductors in 393.3(B)(1). In most installs I see the cables leave the tray in conduit or the tray extends to the enclosure.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Note your 1/0 minimum for single conductors in 393.3(B)(1). In most installs I see the cables leave the tray in conduit or the tray extends to the enclosure.

+1 on all of that, and when you pop out the side of the tray, hit the tray high,
so you aren't having to fight existing wires in the tray when you pull cable.

where it'a conduit dropping directly out the bottom of a ladder rack, a ground
bushing on the end of the conduit, and a jumper to the tray for bonding is
common.

Status
Not open for further replies.