Fan Coil Fusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
If a Fan coil unit has a nameplate of 15 amp max fuse can the breaker be this or is an actual 15 amp fuse protection required? The breakers would be HVACR rated. They have a local disconnect but not fused and we don't want to change anything. The nameplate says max fuse not "OCPD", samething or not?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If a Fan coil unit has a nameplate of 15 amp max fuse can the breaker be this or is an actual 15 amp fuse protection required? The breakers would be HVACR rated. They have a local disconnect but not fused and we don't want to change anything. The nameplate says max fuse not "OCPD", samething or not?

Not.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Care to elaborate a little? Trying to see what options we have, any code references you could provide.

Sure. If the nameplate says maximum fuse size, that instruction from the manufacturer requires that you use a fuse rather than a circuit breaker.
There is nothing directly in the NEC as to whether to use a fuse or some other OCPD type.

If you can get a statement in writing from the equipment manufacturer that the nameplate was overly restrictive and that a CB would be OK, then I would hope that an inspector would accept that. But....

For many reasons, including reducing the chances of damage caused by single phasing, most of us would prefer to see a CB used in the absence of other specific circumstances (such as the need for a current limiting fuse type.)

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Sure. If the nameplate says maximum fuse size, that instruction from the manufacturer requires that you use a fuse rather than a circuit breaker.
There is nothing directly in the NEC as to whether to use a fuse or some other OCPD type.

If you can get a statement in writing from the equipment manufacturer that the nameplate was overly restrictive and that a CB would be OK, then I would hope that an inspector would accept that. But....

For many reasons, including reducing the chances of damage caused by single phasing, most of us would prefer to see a CB used in the absence of other specific circumstances (such as the need for a current limiting fuse type.)

Thanks, I was having trouble finding a code reference.....there is nothing directly related. I did check with the Manufacture and they pretty much said the same thing. I appreciate the info.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.