Any real problem with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Say for instance;) One takes a SEU cable runs it in a PVC "sleeve and LB" on the exterior of a home for "supplemental protection" (does not extend completely to panel) then also drills a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the LB for drainage of any possible water (which is allowed by NEC) and say uses that drain hole to also run the GEC out from the main panel so not to drill another hole thru the sill. Does anybody really see a problem with that? After all it seems to be the best way I've come up with to eliminate the countless number of services which are damaged by water either from the jacket of SE cable deteriorating or condensation following a complete conduit install (although I realize if one would seal the conduit entries this should not happen) had one fella on the fire dept (which just does a ground check in my area and after 25 years doing it this way was OK with the other fellas) tell me I can't run the ground wire thru the LB. Doesn't seem to have a reason outside of the fact he can't think "outside of the box". What's that going to hurt? Saves another hole in the side of the house that the siding people have to deal with. IMO makes a nice clean looking job.
Interested to hear your take on this as I know I'm not the only one who does this. Just how much of the NEC applies to this added protection of PVC and how it is installed/utilized. I know the fire dept is our only AHJ but they also do not have any formal electrical training I think they picked up doing this in the 1920's thinking all fires were related to grounding issues.

david

I believe 230.7 Ex 1 would apply to your installation. PVC with an LB butted to the structure is done here all the time when physical protection of the service entrance conductors is desired from the meter to the structure.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Does anybody have a comment about the GEC utilizing a hole in the bottom of LB to eliminate another hole thru the box sill.

Status
Not open for further replies.