What is up with paragragph 240.87

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

What is up with the new version of this spec paragraph, formerly called Noninstantaneous Trip, now renamed, Arc Energy Reduction, a new opening paragraph serving as an English teachers example of how not to write one. It goes like this:

Where the highest continuous current trip setting for which the actual overcurrent device installed in a circuit breaker is rated or can be adjusted is 1200A or higher, 240.87(A) and (B) shall apply.

Do they mean:

Where the highest continuous current trip setting, based on both the trip device and the breaker itself combined, is rated for or can be adjusted to 1200A or higher, 240.87(A) and (B) shall apply.

Is it me???

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What is up with the new version of this spec paragraph, formerly called Noninstantaneous Trip, now renamed, Arc Energy Reduction, a new opening paragraph serving as an English teachers example of how not to write one. It goes like this:

Where the highest continuous current trip setting for which the actual overcurrent device installed in a circuit breaker is rated or can be adjusted is 1200A or higher, 240.87(A) and (B) shall apply.

Do they mean:

Where the highest continuous current trip setting, based on both the trip device and the breaker itself combined, is rated for or can be adjusted to 1200A or higher, 240.87(A) and (B) shall apply.

Is it me???

Why are you adding that highlighted part? There is no "combining" issue involved, it's just about the trip setting. If the trip is, or can be adjusted to, 1200A or more, then 240.87(A) and (B) shall apply. Doesn't matter what the breaker is rated for, nobody will put a 1200A trip on a 1000A rated breaker, and they don't care if it is a 1200A trip unit on a 2000A breaker, it's still 1200A or more.

mshields

even better

even better

I'll happily give you that JRAEF rending "our" version all the more concise. I'm appalled at the wording of this paragraph and contend that it means, strictly speaking, nothing.

Not that I'm looking to ignore it and get into it with an inspector over it, but what the hell.

Of course staring at it a bit longer it seems to me that if you wanted to fix it with as little change as possible, I think you could settle for this:

"Where the highest continuous current trip setting of the overcurrent device is rated, or can be adjusted to, 1200A or higher, 240.87(A) and (B) shall apply

anyway - I suppose that's enough time spent on that!:)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'll happily give you that JRAEF rending "our" version all the more concise. I'm appalled at the wording of this paragraph and contend that it means, strictly speaking, nothing.

Not that I'm looking to ignore it and get into it with an inspector over it, but what the hell.

Of course staring at it a bit longer it seems to me that if you wanted to fix it with as little change as possible, I think you could settle for this:

"Where the highest continuous current trip setting of the overcurrent device is rated, or can be adjusted to, 1200A or higher, 240.87(A) and (B) shall apply

anyway - I suppose that's enough time spent on that!:)
I don't know why it even has to be that wordy. Here's my version...

Where a circuit breaker is continuous-current rated or adjustable to 1200A or greater, 240.87(A) and (B) shall apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.