van inventory shrinkage

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
All our billed invoices are looked at before being inputted to accounting. If a ballast is replaced and no wire nuts are used a flag goes up in the reviewers mind. He'll add in whatever is needed.
We also use a PO system. Once a supplier invoice is received the items are attached to the office copy of the job ticket.
At billing time the this items are added to the job ticket if missed or depending on cost are RGA back to the supplier.
Big items are drop shipped to jobsite. Packing slips are brought to office. Invoices from suppliers are faxed or emailed to office.
Truck inventory: About every 2 years we will do a truck inventory to satisfy the accountants. Also gives the guys an opportunity to get some of the old unused stuff off the truck.
The pisser is finding a box of switch plates in a mangled box, in the corner all boogered up. These go to the dumpster. The Sparky is given 40 lashes! :lol: And told to be more careful.
I guess the bottomline is this: How much inventory shrinkage are you talking about coming off the trucks?

If you docked my pay, it would happen only once. I would park your truck in the lot with a resignation letter on the dash.
So what if there were already wire nuts there and that's why they weren't put on the invoice? Then you are billing for something you didn't use and that could mess up your inventory the other way.

I would probably do the same thing, and not necessarily in their lot.:D

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
How about this: Each wire nut size/type has its own bin, with a solenoid operated knife valve or a rotary valve attached to a stepper motor. Each button push dispenses one wire nut and is recorded by a digital counter. The digital counter, with an IP address, communicates via BlueTooth to the home office server. Since the server also has the tech's schedule, it automatically deducts the wire nut from the van inventory and charges it to the tech's scheduled job ticket and also updates the master inventory file. That should do it. :roll:

Also, sensitive scales that weigh rolls of tape at the beginning and end of each job. Simple math would give the weight per inch. Each inch could then be charged to it's proper job.

kwired

Electron manager
Also, sensitive scales that weigh rolls of tape at the beginning and end of each job. Simple math would give the weight per inch. Each inch could then be charged to it's proper job.

Let's also remember to record time down to the second per job or other task.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you fold over 1/2" of the end of the tape to make it easier to retrieve the end, should you charge it to the job where you folded it or the next job where you cut it off?

Tapatalk!

kwired

Electron manager
If you fold over 1/2" of the end of the tape to make it easier to retrieve the end, should you charge it to the job where you folded it or the next job where you cut it off?

Tapatalk!

Either method is probably fine, but you need to do it the same every time so someone isn't cheated their fair share.

But who should be charged for the packaging from a new roll and the left over spindle at the end of a roll?

fmtjfw

Either method is probably fine, but you need to do it the same every time so someone isn't cheated their fair share.

But who should be charged for the packaging from a new roll and the left over spindle at the end of a roll?

Why I unfold it for the next job.

And if I am at the end of the roll, I save the tape that was against the cardboard core for the inside of the next large splice.

I was just kidding, the tape that was against the cardboard is measured and posted against overhead.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I had a plumber replacing a water heater who charged me for each small screw to hold the flue pipe together, as well as for the solder and flux to solder one or two copper pipe joints. I don't remember if he charged me for teflon tape. Had is the operative term, too much nickle and diming can cost a customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.