doorbell retrofit, batteries not desired

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

Interesting situation, I can't find a solution.
Homeowner is doing a front entry remodel and wants a doorbell installed. The biggest issue is they don't want a battery on the outside of the house - winters up north suck the life out of them too fast. There is no access from the front entry to the basement or attic. The front entry wall is opened up, and there is existing power in it for the entry light that could be used to tap a transformer off of.

Options:
* They would consider locating the chime in the entry - but there is no place to put a transformer. Unless there is a way to recess the transformer into a junction box?
* Or chime in entry, recess a junction box in the wall, install transformer on top of it, put a 2-gang mudring and blank plate over it to "allow access". (I have a hard time seeing that pass inspection.)
* Is there a hardwired button that can send a wireless signal to a remote chime? My guess is yes, but it would have to be LV, right? Then the question of where to put the transformer still needs answered.

My guess is there is a solution out there, but I'm having trouble finding it. They may have to keep living with the dreaded wireless solution. Thanks!

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If they will accept batteries in the chime you can get hardwired battery operated chimes. You just run a pair of wires from any standard non-lighted button to the chime.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Or use a battery powered wireless button transmitter but with the battery installed in a blank box on the inside of the door where it stays warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.