Type of wire in Proton therapy building

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
In a Proton therapy building where it's first time project for me & since the intent of the project is very important so the cost is not an issue for the client, ref to 517.160(A)(6) informational note don't you think the installation of the low leakage wires is worth e.g cu/xlpe/pvc IEC std?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Proton therapy is like "star wars" to me but I will ask... how much of the wiring is on an isolated power system with line monitors ?
IMO, other than wiring for Isolated Power systems, using a higher priced insulation would just be a waste of money.

Last edited:

m sleem

Occupation
Health
Proton therapy is like "star wars" to me but I will ask... how much of the wiring is on an isolated power system with line monitors ?
IMO, other than wiring for Isolated Power systems, using a higher priced insulation would just be a waste of money.
Since there is no IPS in the proton therapy building, so the using of cu/XLPE/PVC wire is just an extra money and not a worth.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Proton therapy is a form of radiation therapy in which a beam of protons is used.
More traditional forms use x-rays, electron beams, or alpha particles from a radioactive source.
Other than the fact that a cyclotron or synchrotron is used as the been source, it should not be fundamentally different from an radiation treatment location.
The beam source will have some high power requirements for the magnets, and stray magnetic fields might be a design issue.
I would not expect the rest of the building wiring to differ in any way from the requirements of any patient care area.

PS: The value added of using protons is that in theory you can focus the beam better and control how far it penetrates into the tissue.
Whether this added precision leads to improved treatment outcome is still uncertain.

Tapatalk!

Last edited:

m sleem

Occupation
Health
Proton therapy is a form of radiation therapy in which a beam of protons is used.
More traditional forms use x-rays, electron beams, or alpha particles from a radioactive source.
Other than the fact that a cyclotron or synchrotron is used as the been source, it should not be fundamentally different from an radiation treatment location.
The beam source will have some high power requirements for the magnets, and stray magnetic fields might be a design issue.
I would not expect the rest of the building wiring to differ in any way from the requirements of any patient care area.

PS: The value added of using protons is that in theory you can focus the beam better and control how far it penetrates into the tissue.
Whether this added precision leads to improved treatment outcome is still uncertain.

Tapatalk!
Yes, because the proton beam is concentrated on the infected tissue other than the other beam sources where the healthy tissues may receive a similar dose.

jrannis

All I could think of if firing this think up and all of the metal chairs and equipment in the building start to roll towards the machine.

I wouldn't think the machine would be any worse than an MRI rig. They must have some installation matrix.
Aluminum HCF cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.