Convert a 250V/50A NEMA 10 receptacle to a NEMA 6 15A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a NEMA 10 250V50A receptacle and I need to change this to a NEMA 6 15A Receptacle.
How would I go about doing this? Novice here, so please keep it some what simple.

Attachments

• 250v3p.jpg
    250v3p.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 220v.jpg
    220v.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My best two answers would be, (1) You don't. Instead you throw this one out and buy the one you need, and (2) Why should you want to do that?

Welcome to the forum.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With all due respect to charlieb, I have been called upon to perform similar tasks.
You need to keep[ 210.21(B)(1) in mind and make sure you provide the correct overcurrent protection for the new receptacle.

kwired

Electron manager
I have a NEMA 10 250V50A receptacle and I need to change this to a NEMA 6 15A Receptacle.
How would I go about doing this? Novice here, so please keep it some what simple.
Assuming the original was supplied with 50 amp conductors - splice on smaller conductors with an approved splicing method for the conductors utilized, chances are the new device will not accept the larger conductor that is present. And as mentioned reduce overcurrent protection to the correct size. You may have to reduce conductor size at the overcurrent device also, as many 15 amp devices will not accept conductors larger then 10AWG.

My best two answers would be, (1) You don't. Instead you throw this one out and buy the one you need, and (2) Why should you want to do that?

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. I have a print machine with a nema 6 15a plug and the closest receptacle is the nema 10 50a. It would be nice to use the existing receptacle box with the lines already there.

Assuming the original was supplied with 50 amp conductors - splice on smaller conductors with an approved splicing method for the conductors utilized, chances are the new device will not accept the larger conductor that is present. And as mentioned reduce overcurrent protection to the correct size. You may have to reduce conductor size at the overcurrent device also, as many 15 amp devices will not accept conductors larger then 10AWG.

This helps a lot. My problem is going from a 3 phase receptacle to a single.

kwired

Electron manager

The 10-50 receptacle wasn't ever intended to be used for three phase in the first place.

That said you would still likely have to reconnect leads to the proper source for what you need.

How did they get an equipment grounding conductor to prior used equipment?

The 10-50 receptacle wasn't ever intended to be used for three phase in the first place.

That said you would still likely have to reconnect leads to the proper source for what you need.

How did they get an equipment grounding conductor to prior used equipment?

I might have this wrong, but isn't a NEMA 10 50A a L1/L2/Neutral?

kwired

Electron manager
I might have this wrong, but isn't a NEMA 10 50A a L1/L2/Neutral?
Yes, it is the commonly used receptacle for a household electric range (three wire supply).

It is not intended for use with a three phase circuit, it is for a single phase "multiwire" circuit.

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Thats not a 3 phase receptacle. Its a 125/250 volt split phase "non grounding" type. Used very heavily for residential ovens, and sporadically on other machines needing both 120 and 240. Its an obsolete type since grounding was via the neutral which is no longer allowed. In your case you would need to switch to a 15 or 20 amp breaker and joint down to a #12 both at the box and panel. Also you will need to move the neutral to the ground bar and re identify it if no other ground provisions exist.

Pull the cover off of it and see whats there. If the run is short and in conduit your better of pulling some #12, 2 hots and a ground.

Pharon

My recommendation is that this is not something a novice should take care of. It requires removing a 50A-2P circuit breaker from the panel and installing a 15A-2P in its place, and either correctly re-color-coding the wiring at both ends or replacing the run with #14/2 NM-B (which is what I would do, assuming it's a residence). And also as someone mentioned, moving the neutral to the ground bus.

You should hire an electrician for this work.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My recommendation is that this is not something a novice should take care of. It requires removing a 50A-2P circuit breaker from the panel and installing a 15A-2P in its place, and either correctly re-color-coding the wiring at both ends or replacing the run with #14/2 NM-B (which is what I would do, assuming it's a residence). And also as someone mentioned, moving the neutral to the ground bus.

You should hire an electrician for this work.

Good advice.. with that, I am closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.