How close can pool equipment be to pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Pool guy asked how close he can be to pool with his equipment..
I guessed with 10'

I'm looking for it in 680 and can't find..

so now I'm thinking.. If everything is bonded and any service receptacle is 10 ' away and any switches are 6 ' away... the equipment can be right up next to it.

???

help please

thank you

ritelec

He also mentioned if he installs a metal fence he can be 5 ' away...

I'm thinking ok... as long as it's bonded...

help

ritelec

as I continue to read here and again look at 680.26 (7) exception No.1 separated from the pool by a permanent barrier... barrier made of what ?

masonry? lumber? metal fence (which would then be bonded)? Lagos ? PVC ?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have never done pool wiring but here is my take.

I don't think there is a distance requirement for THE "pool equipment" (motors, pumps...) However there is requirement for the disconnect and the receptacles that are controlling or are associated with the pool equipment.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
as I continue to read here and again look at 680.26 (7) exception No.1 separated from the pool by a permanent barrier... barrier made of what ?

masonry? lumber? metal fence (which would then be bonded)? Lagos ? PVC ?

I would guess as long as it is a common permanent barrier (Block wall, wooden fence, iron fence, lattice fence...,) it should pass inspection.

Lego blocks are not common building material, so I am not in favor of it.

ritelec

Thank you edward...

I will read closely again.. I did not see "disconnect"

saw receptacles, switches...they had distance requirements.

I'm thinking .. as long as the metal enclosure to a panel is bonded... or anything metal...that equipment could be right up to the edge of the pool..

ritelec

By the way, did you know Betty Boop started as a dog when first drawn in 1930 ?

Last edited:

ritelec

saw receptacles, switches...they had distance requirements.

as I'm walking away, I'm thinking I read switch not disconnect switch..
a disconnect (or breaker) is a switch but it is usually clarified as such a switch.
we'll see

ritelec

I had spoke too soon about the disconnect.
680.12 Maintenance Disconnecting Means.

It mentions 5 ' from inside wall of pool and with in sight of it's equipment.

Would that mean the equipment could be right to the pool edge, as long as the disconnect is 5' back?
Also the in sight of...
In general and not pushing the how close can you get to the pool edge...

There's a switch, or panel with a breaker supplying a motor. This motor disconnect (switch, breaker) is free standing and the enclosure's back is facing the motor. You can look at the switch or breaker and the motor at the same time if standing in front of the panel or switch box, but if your at the motor, you see the back of the panel or box and not the switch or breaker. Violation?

680.10 Underground Wiring Location.
Mentions all underground wiring not to be within 5' of pool, then says unless it is necessary to supply pool equipment. OK..sounds good,
then it says where space limitations prevent wiring from being routed a distance of 5 ' such wiring shall be permitted if installed in rigid metal conduit etc..

Basically, seams there saying you can't install underground wiring within 5' of the pool, but you can......

Status
Not open for further replies.