Fork terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Show me one that says I can not.

!110.3(B) requires us to follow the listing and labeling.

I have not seen a device yet that instructs to use a fork terminal or is listed for other than American wire gauge copper or aluminum conductors.

Just something to consider.

jrannis

I kinda read that as "fork tolerant"
Whenever I see receptacles or switches terminated with forks, I think it looks like either a second career electrician or someone from outside of our trade trimmed it out.

If you terminate with forks and then wrap the whole thing in black tape, you would really have something to talk about here.:)

What the code says not withstanding, what about forks would be a problem? To me, even if you get a good twist on the wire and are able to secure it well under the screw, the potential for coming loose because the strands shift is higher than a crimp with a fork connector. Or is the plating on the connector the issue? Our super says he used nothing but solid wire through conduit and prefers it (at least to the second 90!). To me, solid through code sized conduit at near max fill is like asking to buy a winch and have the insulation compromised, not to mention the cussing. Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and fire hadn't been invented yet, we spent quite a bit of time making sure everyone in shop could reliably bend perfect loops on solid wire to connect devices. From my observations, most folks these days didn't learn that, with stranded or solid. With the new terminal clamp feed-through devices, stranded just became the new solid. I love working with them compared to old school. Sometimes I confess I spend my spare time just bending loops on scrap wire because I miss it so much. Don't tell anyone.:roll:

fmtjfw

White book 2013

White book 2013

RECEPTACLES FOR PLUGS AND ATTACHMENT PLUGS (RTRT)
A receptacle may also be provided with conductor leads with factory-installed crimped-on connectors. Such connectors may be either attached to the receptacle terminal or are provided with the receptacle in the smallest unit shipping container and are suitable for use with the terminal of the receptacle.

SNAP SWITCHES (WJQR)
Terminals of the wire-binding screw, setscrew, or screw-actuated back-wired clamping types are suitable for use with solid building wires unless otherwise indicated either on the device or in the installation instructions. Terminals of a flush snap switch are permitted for use with Listed field-installed crimped-on wire connectors or an assembly, if so identified by the manufacturer.
A flush snap switch may also be provided with conductor leads with factory-installed crimped-on connectors. Such connectors may be either attached to the flush snap switch terminal or are provided with the flush snap switch in the smallest unit shipping container and are suitable for use with the terminal of the flush snap switch.

WIRE CONNECTORS AND SOLDERING LUGS (ZMVV)
Terminal connectors establish a connection between one or more conductors to a terminal plate or stud, or to any similar device by means of mechanical pressure. They are fixed in position.
INSTALLATION
Wire connectors are intended for use in installations covered by ANSI/NFPA 70, ??National Electrical Code?? (NEC), and should be installed using the prescribed manufacturer?s installation instructions. Stacking of connectors (multiple connectors assembled using a single bolt, nut and washers) may be permitted where mechanical interference is reduced or eliminated with the use of offset tangs, stacking adapters, and the like. The surface contact area of the mounting tang should make complete contact with the mounting surface or the previously stacked connector tang.

iwire

Staff member
O

O

Whenever I see receptacles or switches terminated with forks, I think it looks like either a second career electrician or someone from outside of our trade trimmed it out.

Pretty much my position as well.:cool:

In my opinion the fork terminals just add another point of potential failure.

If you would have had 100 terminations adding forks makes it 200 terminations.

Status
Not open for further replies.