disconnect or wiremold over flush j-box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iggy2

We are designing a lab for a client. Wall panels are modular, and have flush outlet boxes in the panel, with emt from the box stubbed to the top of the wall panel. Some of the outlet boxes will serve a disconnect, some will serve receptacles in surface wiremold.

Can a disconnect, or G4000 wiremold be mounted over (covering) the outlet box, if the wires are not spliced in the outlet box? Or would access be required to the outlet box without having to remove the wiremold or the disconnect?

314.29 says "boxes" (not specific to outlet, pull or junction...) have to be accessible without removing any "part of the building or structure". the disconnect, or the wiremold is not "part of the building"... I assume by 'building' they mean wallboard, studs, beams, concrete, floors, etc.

Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
We are designing a lab for a client. Wall panels are modular, and have flush outlet boxes in the panel, with emt from the box stubbed to the top of the wall panel. Some of the outlet boxes will serve a disconnect, some will serve receptacles in surface wiremold.

Can a disconnect, or G4000 wiremold be mounted over (covering) the outlet box, if the wires are not spliced in the outlet box? Or would access be required to the outlet box without having to remove the wiremold or the disconnect?

314.29 says "boxes" (not specific to outlet, pull or junction...) have to be accessible without removing any "part of the building or structure". the disconnect, or the wiremold is not "part of the building"... I assume by 'building' they mean wallboard, studs, beams, concrete, floors, etc.

Thanks.
Tricky one because of how it is worded, though I don't think the intent is to allow a disconnect or a panelboard or other similar component to prevent the required access.

We do have similar requirement for fluorescent luminaires that are covering an outlet box, but if access can be gained through the luminaire without removing it we can still cover it. Now just how big that access needs to be is not spelled out either.

jrannis

I'm trying to get a mental picture of this proposed installation but, I think you are asking if you could run G4000 wire mold over an existing flush outlet or junction box. The answer is no. You would have to remove the wiremold for access.
Can you knock out the wire mold and install a blank cover over the existing outlet?

kwired

Electron manager
I'm trying to get a mental picture of this proposed installation but, I think you are asking if you could run G4000 wire mold over an existing flush outlet or junction box. The answer is no. You would have to remove the wiremold for access.
Can you knock out the wire mold and install a blank cover over the existing outlet?
I see no need for a blank cover, and I believe the flush box in question is likely bringing conductors into the wiremold which would still require penetration through any cover.

iggy2

We could punch out the back of the wiremold, but that does not work for a disconnect. And, it seems like a lot of work with no practical benefit.

But why is the the disconnect or wiremold any different than a light fixture which covers an (outlet) box? It has to be removed to access the junction box. In the case of a fluorescent strip, the end(s) of the strip has to be attached to the building as well - it likely cannot be supported just at the center, from the box.

My fallback is to put a blank cover with center ko, and do a 90 and short whip to the wiremold, or the disconnect. But that seems klugey.

kwired

Electron manager
We could punch out the back of the wiremold, but that does not work for a disconnect. And, it seems like a lot of work with no practical benefit.

But why is the the disconnect or wiremold any different than a light fixture which covers an (outlet) box? It has to be removed to access the junction box. In the case of a fluorescent strip, the end(s) of the strip has to be attached to the building as well - it likely cannot be supported just at the center, from the box.

My fallback is to put a blank cover with center ko, and do a 90 and short whip to the wiremold, or the disconnect. But that seems klugey.

The mentioned fluorescent luminaire was just another similar example, I have not looked at code close enough to say same rule applies to your situation, if the rule is in art 410, then it likely doesn't apply at all to your install, since you are not dealing with luminaires. But many will balk the idea at very least, if I were AHJ I likely would accept the hole in the back of the wiremold with no questions asked, and even in the back of the disconnect if you have enough space to do so.

Another consideration for the disconnect is if no overcurrent devices are needed to use a properly rated switch that fits a standard device box instead. There are two and three pole heavier duty switches and not just 15 and 20 amp devices like we see most of the time, you an get covers with lock attachments for them as well if that is needed.

iggy2

I agree - anything in 410 would not apply. But I am only concerned with (not) violating 314.29, access to the boxes. I think it comes down to what is part of the "building or structure". I don't see either the wiremold or the disconnect as part of the building. I feel the intent is not to bury boxes and be able to say "look - all you have to do is remove this 4x8 sheet of paneling; or cut a 4x4 hole in this piece of sheetrock with a keyhole saw... to access the box. Also, I don't see this as a case where there will be unknown splices (there will be none) which can;t be located when troubleshooting.

Thanks for the input.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree - anything in 410 would not apply. But I am only concerned with (not) violating 314.29, access to the boxes. I think it comes down to what is part of the "building or structure". I don't see either the wiremold or the disconnect as part of the building. I feel the intent is not to bury boxes and be able to say "look - all you have to do is remove this 4x8 sheet of paneling; or cut a 4x4 hole in this piece of sheetrock with a keyhole saw... to access the box. Also, I don't see this as a case where there will be unknown splices (there will be none) which can;t be located when troubleshooting.

Thanks for the input.

well as far as having no splices - a pull box or conduit body will still need to be accessible.

which gets us back to exactly what is considered accessible?

Status
Not open for further replies.