Small appliance circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
It is allowable to put kitchen lights on the small appliance circuit ?
On a side note, the small appliance circuits are not contained to just the kitchen or more specifically just the kitchen countertops. The SABCs cover the dining room, breakfast room, among others. It's all spelled out in 210.52(B)(1) & (2). Also, you're required to have at least 2, but you can have more.

tsamples

On a side note, the small appliance circuits are not contained to just the kitchen or more specifically just the kitchen countertops. The SABCs cover the dining room, breakfast room, among others. It's all spelled out in 210.52(B)(1) & (2). Also, you're required to have at least 2, but you can have more.

Good point. For further thought, if you install a third SABC it would also be prohibited from feeding the lights. But, there is no code that you can't install a 20 amp b/c to the kitchen counter that is not a SABC. This circuit could then feed the lights.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Good point. For further thought, if you install a third SABC it would also be prohibited from feeding the lights. But, there is no code that you can't install a 20 amp b/c to the kitchen counter that is not a SABC. This circuit could then feed the lights.
I would have to disagree. I do not have my NEC beside me but if I remember correctly 210.52(B)(1) states that SABCs must serve all wall, floor and countertop receptacles in the listed areas. As soon as a receptacle is installed in those areas (and doesn't have an exception) it must meet the SABC requirements.

kwired

Electron manager
I would have to disagree. I do not have my NEC beside me but if I remember correctly 210.52(B)(1) states that SABCs must serve all wall, floor and countertop receptacles in the listed areas. As soon as a receptacle is installed in those areas (and doesn't have an exception) it must meet the SABC requirements.
I agree, and did not verify the section number either, but all mentioned receptacles in that section are required to be on the "two or more required SABC's" and those circuits "shall serve no other outlets".

Status
Not open for further replies.