Surge-Protective Devices (SPD), Where Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2-Inc

We're having a debate here at the office about where the NEC requires SPD's on the AC circuit to a fire alarm panel, or on anything really. I thought I might see it in Chapter 2 or 3 but no luck. I did a search for 285 (Article 285 - Surge-Protective Devices, 1 kV or less) in the NEC but didn't see anything that way either. I'm aware of the references to SPD for other circuits in 760 to 800, but can't find anything for AC power to the fire panel.

Does it exist?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For whatever reason the 2014 has a new requirement for SPD's in emergency systems:

700.8 Surge Protection. A listed SPD shall be installed in
or on all emergency systems switchboards and panelboards.

dereckbc

Staff member
Well pre 2014 SPD was a design issue and not a code requirement. With that said I have a fair amount of experience with SPD and any effective system starts at the service entrance, then followed up by Secondary SPD's at any Branch Panels, and lastly Point of Use SPD's. Just installing a Point of Use SPD is pretty much worthless.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
For whatever reason the 2014 has a new requirement for SPD's in emergency systems:

But that only applies if you have a panel board dedicated to emergency systems. If the FACP is powered from a circuit in a general lighting or power panel board, you don't need suppresion in THAT panel board.

DM2-Inc

Silly me...didn't have a copy of 2014 on the network so I didn't think it was release yet.

I had a read under of 700.1 Scope which says the following:

700.1 Scope. The provisions of this article apply to the electrical safety of the installation, operation, and maintenance of emergency systems consisting of circuits and equipment intended to supply, distribute, and control electricity for illumination, power, or both, to required facilities when the normal electrical supply or system is interrupted.

Informational Note No. 1: For further information regarding wiring and installation of emergency systems in health care facilities, see Article 517.
Informational Note No. 2: For further information regarding performance and maintenance of emergency systems in health care facilities, see NFPA 99-2012, Health Care Facilities Code.
Informational Note No. 3: For specification of locations where emergency lighting is considered essential to life safety, see NFPA 101-2012, Life Safety Code.
Informational Note No. 4: For further information regarding performance of emergency and standby power systems, see NFPA 110-2013, Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems.

Also went to 760 and there's no reference to 700 in there, so I'm still asserting that SPD's aren't required on the AC line to the fire panel. Anyone have any further insight?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.